Thread: For those that use gas pipe for storing wood

For those that use gas pipe for storing wood

Can you tell me what size pipe you use and the size of the wood posts the gas pipe goes into. I am wanting to use this setup and wondering if I'm on the right track. Wouldn't mind also knowing approx how many board feet you store on each rack. Thanks in advance

I considered the system that you are looking at but ended up using the Fast-Mount system that I got at a Menards. The system can hold 300 lbs on a 20 " bracket. I have it set up on the wall studs in my garage and have had 200 bdf on them.

You might want to take a look at Menards as they have 11% off everything this week..

You want to be careful if you plan to use round pipe under the boards you are stowing. Being round, there is a lot of weight resting on the round surfaces of the pipe. This situation frequently causes the weight of the lumber to create cross marks in the boards. When you go to later finish those boards, the compressed area will can stains and dyes to highlight those areas that were carrying the weight of the boards.

Much better to have the boards supported on a flat surface.
    Howie.........

Storage

Scott I used half inch ID placed on about 2 foot center I have no idea how many board feet I can put on them but I've put an awful lot , i've never had a new issue with compression Also I used to 2 x 4 screwed together
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I used 3/4" pipe drilled into a 2x4, but for vertical storage. I put the pipes about 16" oc, drilled a 1" hole, and drilled through the pipe and 2x4 and put screws through both to hold the pipe in place. Found some rubber ends to slip on the ends of the pipe at Menards to cushion the ends of the pipe.

I have 1/2" black pipe into 2x4s at 16" OC - i also covered every pipe with 1" thin wall PVC sleeves to keep the staining to a minimum.

I keep a LOT of weight on mine -i have 6 o 8 pipes holding probably 8" tall stacks of 10' long boards - it does this with no problem at all.

If you store your "finished surfaced" lumber there, and don't take any off that face, then what Howard cautions against is real - but i never do that so it's a non-issue for me.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com