Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiber laser safety window

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Balch View Post
    how about using a video camera to monitor the laser rather than risking your eyesight?
    +1 for this idea. A cheap camera like the pie camera Steve used to monitor his co2 laser awhile back could be easily and inexpensively done.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

out of curiosity what do Trotec and Epilog use on their fiber machines, they have a kinda of green tinted lid.
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    out of curiosity what do Trotec and Epilog use on their fiber machines, they have a kinda of green tinted lid.
    Acrylic with fillers opaque to the wavelength... the same multi-hundred $ stuff being discussed at the beginning of the thread.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I hope it has a camera on it so I can doodle on metal with a sharpie......
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have an old smart phone that I plan to mount over a small hole in the enclosure and use the camera. That way it looks like a window and you don't have to be watching the monitor. I have a web cam too. I have also thought about using our old Ipad to make the "window" larger. I like the idea of Masonite for the enclose. I can cut that with the CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    +1 for this idea. A cheap camera like the pie camera Steve used to monitor his co2 laser awhile back could be easily and inexpensively done.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

I got a small piece of 1064 nm glass when I bought my machine. It is pricey. Also got 2 pair of glasses, always wear a pair when laser is turned on. Extra pair for the wife/customer/guest. Bought it all up front and included it in the total cost of the laser. Spend it all at once....!!!!
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

Honestly why be cheap about it? If you catch that beam in your eye somehow it can blind you. I don't know about you but my eyes are worth me spending a $300 for a pair of glasses. I picked up 3 pairs of glasses and where them the entire time that laser is on.
    3 X Speedy 300 80w
    1 x Speedmarker 700 FL 30W
    1 x Speedy 400 120W
    1 x Speedy 360 50W Fiber
    1 X Speedy 100 60W
    Roland LEF 12 UV Printer
    HP 360 Latex Printer
    Graphtec 8600-160

Echo Chris...

I just found Laser Safety Industries website, they sell a 12" x 24" piece of acrylic for $305, bigger pieces similarly priced. Doesn't sound all that spendy to keep your $20,000 laser from blinding you, especially if nothing else is adequate.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Echo Chris...

I just found Laser Safety Industries website, they sell a 12" x 24" piece of acrylic for $305, bigger pieces similarly priced. Doesn't sound all that spendy to keep your $20,000 laser from blinding you, especially if nothing else is adequate.
    I just got off the phone with Jerome at Laser Safety Industries. For a 30 watt laser with a 1064nm wavelength you need an optical density of 1.5 to be "legal". That will protect you from a 100% reflected beam. Their 420 product is more than adequate.

I have glasses that I wear while running the machine, but I wanted something to protect against inadvertent exposure to myself and others. For both machines it would run $610 plus constructing a stand of some sort - for that much I'll just make an aluminum barrier and stick with the glasses when I need to see what's going on. It's not all about the money, I'd gladly pay the $610+ if that was the sole means of protection, but it's not, I have glasses for that.