Thread: Probotix CNC Nebula Question

Probotix CNC Nebula Question

Does anybody have any experience with this machine? I am working on a deal for the machine with no router/spindle or control computer. Can i use any control software or is it machine specific? What about value without the fore mentioned parts?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

What you are doing is buying everything you need but the hard stuff. Assembling the mechanics from scratch isn't much more difficult than buying a partial kit from Probotix. Frequently, the control software, controller and drive motors are sold as an integrated package deal. If you go that route, you need to check total prices. You may find doing it yourself is more expensive and you won't have a warranty if something doesn't work. If you want to do this for education's sake, be prepared for weeks of study and assembly. The job is not trivial.

Can i use any control software
    Any one that outputs step and direction signals.
    Mach3/Mach4
    UCCNC
    LinuxCNC
    EdingCNC
    Planet CNC
    Gerry

JointCAM

Does it have the stepper drivers that connect to the stepper motors? Probotix is a LinuxCNC shop so they may have the setup files for the machine if you go that route. That being said it will work with mach as well (or others - $175 for a Mach3 license). You will need the "electronics" to go between the stepper motors and the PC too. If you do not have those a DIY setup will be about $400-$600 and a pre wired setup more. I like Gecko G540 stepper drivers but I have a PC with a parallel port.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Is this a used machine frame or new? Just curious if Probotix sells frames only.
    I think you have some options, Linux CNC, Built your own by sourcing out electronics, C and CNC has complete kits ready to run. Also Automation Technologies has what you will need. Building your own control box will take time to build and get running, I know from experience.
    Last edited by ed vitanovec; 11-11-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I think it has been sold as I am no longer getting a response to my emails about the machine...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71