Thread: Loft bed hardware ??

Loft bed hardware ??

Yesterday, my wife and daughter found aloft bed (sort of bunk bed--ish) that they want me to build for them. The loft matress is full size and will require that the loft be dissambled for transport (basement shop, narrow doors, etc).

For strength and durability, what would the recomended hardware for attaching the "stretchers" between the 2 side frames (posts) the long ways.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hinze
    Yesterday, my wife and daughter found aloft bed (sort of bunk bed--ish) that they want me to build for them. The loft matress is full size and will require that the loft be dissambled for transport (basement shop, narrow doors, etc).

For strength and durability, what would the recomended hardware for attaching the "stretchers" between the 2 side frames (posts) the long ways.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim, I am presently making a bunk bed set for a client. I am using 1/4-20 brass inserts for connection. I bought the inserts and bronze bolts made for this kind of assembly from Rockler. Go to Rockler's site www.rockler.com and take a look at their bed construction hardware. BTW, I originally intended to make corner post from 3/4" material but I saw a commercial one that used 1" stock. I opted for the 1" stock. The corners are 4 1/2" on a side creating an "L". It will be very rigid and yet light.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Let me guess..... college dorm move it time???

If this is the case - check with the housing office at the school. Because of some poorly built (designed?) lofts in the past some now will only allow lofts that follow one of their sets of plans. Fortunately because these need to be moved in/out of dorms they are usually pretty easily disassembled. The typical design uses common framing lumber (4x4's, 2x's etc) and often through carriage bolts.

Now as somone who didn't have to worry about such restrictions when in school (and attended an engineering school) I built a couple of lofts of my own design. The easiest was to use the provided metal spring/platform and attach it to some vertical 4x4's using 3/8" bolts that go all the way through the 4x4 and get torqued down with big washers. The cross members between the 4x4's was then only to keep the 4x4's from racking.

Then there was the waterbed that I suspended, with posts under only 1 side.... that one I used 2x2 heavy wall (1/4") steel tubing for framing members. 2000 lbs of water and some waves and it held up just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Oelke
    Let me guess..... college dorm move it time???
    Actually no, it's for my 6 year old daughter who wanted a "cool bed".

After looking around, rockler has some good options and Your second idea to keep the racking to a minimum is pretty cool.

Thanks!