Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School clock help

Guys,
    As someone who has been working on clocks for basically half of his life I say please don’t do it.
    It is far better to leave it as a family piece on the mantle, a static display for future generations to restore than to remove the movement and replace with quartz. It is an unfortunate fact that these artifacts have little financial value these days, antique furniture is in much the same state.
    Even if you carefully pack the movement in a box and store in a safe place it becomes more likely that it will be forgotten and lost with each passing year. I know people who have searched for years to find replacement movements to restore their “quartzified” clocks.

Put a small quartz clock in the room if you need to tell the time and if people give you a rough time about the nonfunctional antique just say it is exactly right twice a day.

Marty & Bruce, sorry I don’t know anyone in your areas that I can recommend. There are few I do recommend as there are a lot of hacks out there. I suppose you could ask your local folks what they will do when they overhaul your clock.
    A proper overhaul requires a complete disassembly of the movement, pivots made smooth and burnished, with holes bushed as required. Anyone cleaning assembled movements (dunk and swish) or who says closing holes with punches or the use of Rathbun bushings is acceptable should be avoided.

Thanks to all who have related your experience with this type of movement. I have shipped it off to have it cleaned, bushings replaced, and adjusted,etc. As was indicated in several replies, This movement is no longer available. Just decided to not have to re-do mounts and so on. Will be $250.00 plus but then the son still has things as original when it is passed on. Thanks again ... enjoy this forum and all your inputs. Justin

For future reference, who did you contract to refurbish it? I'll likely have to go that route next time.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Bruce, I chose to go with Clock Works in Mass. They are on line as clockworks.com. If any issues arise...will give a "heads up. Good Luck, Justin

Justin I am a little late and got a heads up by Ken. I have been doing clocks for about 35 yrs now. Jauch is no longer in business and there is a replacement by Hermle for those units but I see you found a place to have it fixed. IMHO a clock of mechanical nature needs to be cleaned and oiled every 8 yrs or so. I always say you aren't going to run a Caddy for 75,000 miles without a oil change and a clock needs regular maintenance such as complete disassembly, cleaning, repairs as needed, then oiled and on the test stand for a couple week run. What has happened with your clock the oil in the pivots and mainsprings has dried or congealed which makes it difficult to run. I hope all comes out well for you. I haven't heard anything bad about Clock Works and in fact have bought a few parts from him. Be interesting to see how it comes out. Right now in my shop I have about a 4 to 5 month backlog of clocks to be worked on. Not many of us left anymore. I am the only one within a 200 mile radius of me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hello Bernie and all, Just received my works and, hopefully, I'll get it back where it belongs. Looks like it got"the business" so am betting on the Clockworks folks. Discovered the same re: Jauch. Think I bought right in the beginning. Paid $34.85 to my door in '79. Have had it re-lubed three times. Thanks Justin

How much was the repair?

My wife came with 100 year old clock 30 years ago. We got it repaired and tried running it, but the ticking sounded like a truck running through the house; so now it is just an ornament.