Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time turner looking for lathe recommendation

i had the harbor freight one for 7 or 8 years? it did everything I needed it to, it is great for everything up to bigger bowls, smaller bowls and pens went well, large bowls 9-12 inches were very slow and higher speed then I would prefer. but for the value its great, buy it, get some decent tools, if you like turning save up and in a few years buy a very nice lathe. if you don't like turning you should be able to sell and have minimal loss, I think I sold mine for 125, probably could have good a little more.

Warning. I too was once a woodcarver. Then I got a lathe. A third hand used Nova 1624, a nice lathe and one that served me well. Too well. Now I have a Robust AB, have lots of money tied up in tooling, accessories, etc. And at the end of the day, now I am a woodturner who carves occasionally. Turn back before it is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    $530 will get you a Nova Comet II with G3 chuck at Rockler right now. Variable speed, 12" throw, expandable bed later for longer spindle work. Use the left over to get some chisels and maybe a jaw or two for the G3. Nova makes good products. Not top of the line but good.
    I checked and there is $35 shipping additional, but this is a pretty good deal. I have the Nova Comet and find it to be adequate but with some limitations. I posted a review and showed some modifications to get a firmer mount and add to handwheel. I have not turned on the new Rikon, but did see one at SWAT and it has a lot of better features, more weight and power, but also more cost. The Comet is lighter and makes a good travel lathe. I use mine often instead of using my Powermatic The G3 chuck is also a good chuck to start.

I started turning about 8 months ago after taking a beginner's bowl turning class at a nearby woodworking store. I bought the Jet 1221VS when it was on sale. I am very happy with it. It has it's limits, but I am really enjoying it. It's a good fit for my cramped basement shop. So far I've turned bowls up to about 10 inches in diameter (which is about as big as I can go), 4-5 12-inch tool handles, a bunch of bottle stoppers, and I just started turning some pens.

I did not buy the optional legs; I made my own stand. An extension bed is available. I would need it for a table leg or anything longer than 12 inches. I based my decision on using one at the class, and recommendations from other Creekers. Parts and service appear to be readily available if I need them. I have no experience with Jet customer service (yet).

Good luck and happy turning. It's a really fun hobby.