Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact Tractor Ag Tire Questions

Compact Tractor Ag Tire Questions

Hello,

I am searching for either 8x16 or 8.3x16 rear agricultural tires for a compact tractor. The tractor currently has on a set of turf tires but to push snow this winter ag tires seem a better choice. A set of rims for the tires would also prove nice, but I don't even have a clue how to find the tires at this time. Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Unless you get lucky on a used set they can be quite costly with rims for sure. I have the R4 industrial on mine and have no problem in the winter. I have a plow on the front and use it to clear a 300' driveway in New England. I would think a cheaper choose would be to get a good set of chains, that should work better for traction then even the ag tires alone. Plus they would be a whole bunch cheaper and when they are off your not rutting up your lawn or trails? You can also fill your tires for extra weight.

Unless you you are already in need of new tires and rims because they are old and warn this maybe a cheaper way to go.

The turf tires don't look all that bad. Luckily many of the Kubota parts fit the Yanmar.

Left Side.jpg Left Tire.jpg

I agree about the chains we used them on some of our equipment here in the Cleveland area

After seeing the pictures........chains for sure

you have more rubber in contact with the ground with the turf tires if you are on pavment or concrete than ag tires would have. R4 tires better than R1 tread due to flat fatter lugs on hard surfaces. I have had same size tractors (increase of HP in same series) with both R4 tread and now R1 tread. I use loader a lot. R4 tires more plys and carry heavier loads than R1 tires and fatter tires. I think R1 somewhat better grip in dirt but in your concern I think more weight in tires by adding fluid in them along with chains would give best traction for stated use.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

I have john deere 2305 with turf tires. have fluid in rear tires and have nice set of chains that never needed for them Wisconsin winters.

I am more than willing to purchase chains instead of ag tires. but how do you determine what size chains you need? Who sells them?

There's a tractor tire company in Wauseon, OH that probably has whatever you need if its made. http://www.millertire.com/

You might look at R4 industrial tires as a good compromise. You commonly see those on Bobcats. I had them on my John Deere about that size and they weren't too hard on the lawn but got reasonably good traction in the winter or muddy conditions--but I had a loader which I could use to pull/push myself to freedom (usually.) I'd think they'd be better than chains. I'd get them loaded with beet juice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I am more than willing to purchase chains instead of ag tires. but how do you determine what size chains you need? Who sells them?

tirechains.com will guide you through the sizing process

Chains or Ag`s will both help. Have both, prefer Ag`s ( Ingersoll & Kubota)
    Either way, adding weight ( in the tires or otherwise) makes a huge difference.

Chains for sure.

I haven't driven too many tractors in the snow (an old Farmall narrow-front, once), but I do have quite a bit of seat time in both tracked and wheeled Bobcats in the snow. Traction isn't that great. Even clearing a driveway with only a slight slope, I would easily be spinning the tires half the time.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Usually my only problem with losing traction was trying to move a mountain of snow, or icy conditions--like when the snow pack on the driveway or road melted and refroze a few times. I did not have loaded tires but if I put the box blade on instead of a back blade my traction improves significatntly--the latter weighed a couple hundred lbs more. I was looking into getting the tires loaded when we decided to move.

Chains and a mixture of anti-freeze and water in the tires. I had a compact 33D New Holland, still miss it, and I used to plow our 500' driveway at our cabin in the panhandle of WV when we had very big snows. No problems at all. Any local tractor store can get you chains that fit and you might want to take the tractor in to have them put the anti-freeze in the tires.

Anti-freeze as in radiator anti-freeze? If you get a flat, that's a real issue as the anti-freeze is highly toxic to animals who will be attracted to the sweet smell. Calcium Chloride is the traditional option but corrosive. Some use windshield washer solvent which is a lot less toxic. The beet juice stuff is near ideal though--its a byproduct of refining sugar beets into sugar and non-toxic. And its heavier than water or windshield washer solvent.

around here calcium no longer used due to rusting tubeless rims. I was told they put "alcohol" in them. Like used in windshield washer fluid I think. Non corrosivfe and very low freezing temp. I have fluid in both back tires plus 2 - 110 pound wheel weights on each side in my current tractor. A 2011 John Deere 4720 cab tractor with hydrostatic transmission and MFWD. I ordered it new and traded a 2006 4520 John Deere dab tractor i bought at one year old. Same size with a good bump in horse power. Both MFWD, the 4520 had R4 tires while this one has R1 tires. R4 tires flatter tread and fatter tire were R1 is taller and narrower. I have mashed R1 front tires flat several times with loader. The added weight is very helpful especially when loader is used near capacity. I have had rear tires on 4520 spin on top of the ground when bucket full and had to go to MFWD so front wheels could move tractor.
    The rims with turf tires are much wider than the rims for R4 and especially R1 tires. You will spend several hundred dollars to get new tires and wheels. You might find used ones at tractor salvage. You aren't going to want to be swapping fluid filled tires around much. They are heavy and potentially dangerous if you have to do they by yourself. Having a tire and wheel fall on you weighing several hundred pounds that you are unable to get off you by yourself could become a big problem.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.