Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue / Acid brushes?

I also use Harbor Freight chip brushes when covering a wider area. I prepare the brush by cutting half the length of the bristles off and then tugging on what is left to get rid of loose bristles. These are very cheap and they also work as a throw away pant brush for rough touch up work.

I usually buy the cheapest I can find (going to throw them away anyway most of the time!) but I squeeze them hard in my metal vise, and then trim to 1/4, 3/8?? long and they seem to work OK. Seems to help with the shedding...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I don't use acid brushes, I recycle used our used toothbrushes through the shop for glue spreading. In between uses I drop them in a container of water so the brush part is in the water. By the next day they are clean and ready to be used again. If One gets too beat up or dried out it goes in the trash. The work great for spreading glue.
    I use old toothbrushes to scrub oozing glue out of joints. I can see them working for spreading glue but you can't really use them like holding a pencil unless you use some strange-looking toothbrushes in your house.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A large amount of items from Harbor Freight are hardly worth the trouble if they were free.

These are a perfect example of where Harbor Freight makes a lot of sense. Some things make sense to use forever and should last but others are disposable like these. I just toss them in the recycle bin so the steel gets reused. Cheap garbage recycled into more cheap garbage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I also use Harbor Freight chip brushes when covering a wider area. I prepare the brush by cutting half the length of the bristles off and then tugging on what is left to get rid of loose bristles. These are very cheap and they also work as a throw away pant brush for rough touch up work.
    Additionally, using a small hammer, tap on the handle at the bristles to flatten the metal and clamp the bristles in place helps.