Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Close Call

Can we please just drop the Glowforge rubbish. I, for one, am fed up with it. I can’t even skip certain threads, it is coming up elsewhere too. I have got to the point where I see certain names pop up and I think: “oh no, not again please!”
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

I sincerely hope that these safety measures are built in and that there are no serious fires from the Glowforge Lasers.
    OK I'm outta here for the day have to go to Sky Harbor to welcome WWll Veterans home. John says thank heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Well, I think you can see where I was going there. Safety can be taught, and you should learn how to swim if you or your children are going to responsibly play around in water.

We don't know the flammability of the plastic used for the housing on the GF yet, so we have to wait to see if it will be similar to plastics used in cars, planes, construction, etc. that have fire-retarding properties. Although, here's what has been passed along so far:

"the design was created from plastic that softens rather than ignites, and as you probably saw, the lid is a very solid piece of glass. It's designed to fail in a way that does not spread any fire. We've also added a number of safety systems to avoid all the major causes of fires we've seen in laser postmortems. For example, we won't leave the head blowing air on the ember left from a cut - we shut off the air when the cut is done, unlike most systems. As another example, we can detect the collisions that are usually the start of a problem with our onboard accelerometers.

This isn't something I'd let a child use unattended, but I worry about it less than, say, my blender when they're around."

I sincerely hope you don't have a third strike.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 11-06-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post
    Can we please just drop the Glowforge rubbish. I, for one, am fed up with it. I can’t even skip certain threads, it is coming up elsewhere too. I have got to the point where I see certain names pop up and I think: “oh no, not again please!”
    John, there is an ignore feature you can use if you like. Hope your day turns around for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I sincerely hope that these safety measures are built in and that there are no serious fires from the Glowforge Lasers.
    OK I'm outta here for the day have to go to Sky Harbor to welcome WWll Veterans home. John says thank heaven
    In case I haven't mentioned it Bert, I admire the work you do for vets.

John, there is an ignore feature you can use if you like. Hope your day turns around for the better.
    Matt, I think you have missed the point. If I “cancel” anyone, how can I be of benefit to them again or they to me - or through discussion (other than GF) benefit third parties - even years later? That defeats the point of the forum. We should be able to offer help/consolation etc and receive updates on a thread, without having to be bombarded by what has become a distasteful discussion. I am sure that I am not the only one that is fed up with this topic. We all know the pro’s and cons of the machine at this stage, why not let’s just drop the subject.

Kind regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Well, I think you can see where I was going there. Safety can be taught, and you should learn how to swim if you or your children are going to responsibly play around in water.

We don't know the flammability of the plastic used for the housing on the GF yet, so we have to wait to see if it will be similar to plastics used in cars, planes, construction, etc. that have fire-retarding properties. Although, here's what has been passed along so far:

"the design was created from plastic that softens rather than ignites, and as you probably saw, the lid is a very solid piece of glass. It's designed to fail in a way that does not spread any fire. We've also added a number of safety systems to avoid all the major causes of fires we've seen in laser postmortems. For example, we won't leave the head blowing air on the ember left from a cut - we shut off the air when the cut is done, unlike most systems. As another example, we can detect the collisions that are usually the start of a problem with our onboard accelerometers.

This isn't something I'd let a child use unattended, but I worry about it less than, say, my blender when they're around."

I sincerely hope you don't have a third strike.
    This is funny. Plastic that softens aka melts instead of bursting into flames. Most plastic does this first then catches fire. Try melting a straw over a flame see what happens it melts then a bit later flames up. This is NOT a feature rather a normal property of plastic that they are spinning to make it sound better.

Glass that fails in a way that doesn't spread fire as opposed to....??? What the heck else would it do except fall into the if the container holding it melted? This is ridiculous to say it's a safety feature they planned on.

And air assist that shuts off at the end of the job unlike other lasers give me a break even my Chinese laser does that, it's nothing new.

Seriously Matt stop posting the GF features and replies from their site. Every time you do it just makes the GF sound more and more ridiculous. You're doing more harm to them than good.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 11-06-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

It's the opposite. Every time someone posts a response from GF you go off the deep-end with absurd declarations that "everything-they say-can't-be-possible-because-it's-ridiculous-and-I-know-everything!" You're doing your own and this forums reputation more hard than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    This is funny. Plastic that softens aka melts instead of bursting into flames. Most plastic does this first then catches fire. Try melting a straw over a flame see what happens it melts then a bit later flames up. This is NOT a feature rather a normal property of plastic that they are spinning to make it sound better.

Glass that fails in a way that doesn't spread fire as opposed to....??? What the heck else would it do except fall into the if the container holding it melted? This is ridiculous to say it's a safety feature they planned on.

And air assist that shuts off at the end of the job unlike other lasers give me a break even my Chinese laser does that, it's nothing new.

Seriously Matt stop posting the GF features and replies from their site. Every time you do it just makes the GF sound more and more ridiculous. You're doing more harm to them than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    It's the opposite. Every time someone posts a response from GF you go off the deep-end with absurd declarations that "everything-they say-can't-be-possible-because-it's-ridiculous-and-I-know-everything!" You're doing your own and this forums reputation more hard than good.
    Actually if you read all of my posts you will see I have very rarely commented on GF. At first I was, actually posting that the GF sounded promising until I started reading all of their marketing spin. I have maybe posted 3 times about it, and I'm only posting now since Matt posted such a ridiculous statement from the glowforge site.

Last edited by Keith Winter; 11-06-2015 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post

Hey Keith: Plastics designed with flame-retarding properties is a real thing, whether you believe it or not.

Many lasers in this category do not shut off the air assist at the completion of the job, whether you have experience with it or not. They still exist.

I just report the facts, you can decide for yourself to believe it or not.

I have no intention to do good or harm. Just trying to provide info for the sake of discussion.

John: I'll send you a PM to help keep things from getting off Bert's topic.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 11-06-2015 at 2:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Keith I think thats what I have tho I'm not really sure, it came with my wait for it..............fsl don't have any idea what it puts out for psi do you have a model # or send me a pm with a link for what U have. Thanx
    wow big blank space whats up here
    QUOTE=Keith Winter;2487773]Bert I have one of those fish pump air compressors, right under a hundred bucks. Works really well for the price if you need something inexpensive.
    [/QUOTE]

Hey Bert the inexpensive fish tank style air compressor my Chinese machine uses is a Hailea AC0-009D. So far it has worked really well for us when cutting.

Thanx Matt twas a long day just got home

In case I haven't mentioned it Bert, I admire the work you do for vets.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Keith I see it for 50 bucks from sinjoe

Hey Bert the inexpensive fish tank style air compressor my Chinese machine uses is a Hailea AC0-009D. So far it has worked really well for us when cutting.[/QUOTE]
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Good catch, Bill