Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: internet radio for the shop

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    ....Think I'll start by digging my old laptop out of the closet and get some speakers for it.....My biggest concern is the dust buildup.
    I just blow my desktop computer off with compressed air every now and again to clear out the innards. I haven't noticed any real heat build up or issues. Unless your laptop is very ancient, streaming music shouldn't be too taxing on the system. I'd keep it out of the way of the dust if possible, but I wouldn't go too crazy at first. If you hear its fans really revving all the time trying to keep cool, then you know you need to blow it out and find a better solution.

I have a 5 and a 3 and i like the 3 for its being inconspicuous

+1 for sonos, although I don't yet have one dedicated to the garage. Any problems in having a Play unit in an unconditioned and dusty space? Maybe this is better handled with a connect amp?

I got a Sonos Connect a few months ago and it's fabulous. All of the music stored on my computer (several thousand CDs), pretty much every radio station across the country plus many international stations, all of the streaming services (the free version of Rhapsody seems to work great for me), and a myriad of internet radio stations, including, when I feel like a real timewarp, rebroadcasts tapes of KFAT (Gilroy, CA) from the late 70's and early 80's replete with ads to come over to Santa Cruz for a new 8-track tape installation in your car. An astonishing amount of wonderful material is available out there for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    +1 for sonos, although I don't yet have one dedicated to the garage. Any problems in having a Play unit in an unconditioned and dusty space? Maybe this is better handled with a connect amp?
    I have a PLAY:1 and a Connect:AMP in the shop and keep them cleaned off with compressed air...no problems.

Aaron

I have a Grace GDI-IR2000 (this model is no longer available) that was given to me by the widow of a late friend. As I recall, Bill paid about $2050 for it and used it in his garage. I will be using it in my new shop as soon as I get the electricity hooked up out there. I really enjoy it - especially listening to music from all over the world. It is wireless (You put your router code in) and there is no cost to using it. It can play through a stereo for better sound than you get out of the built-in speaker.
    Grace.jpg
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schnorr View Post
    I have a Grace GDI-IR2000 (this model is no longer available) that was given to me by the widow of a late friend. As I recall, Bill paid about $2050 for it and used it in his garage. I will be using it in my new shop as soon as I get the electricity hooked up out there. I really enjoy it - especially listening to music from all over the world. It is wireless (You put your router code in) and there is no cost to using it. It can play through a stereo for better sound than you get out of the built-in speaker.
    Grace.jpg
    Holy Samolies! 2 grand for an internet radio! You can set up an iHeart radio account for free and listen to that on your cell phone plugged into an old stereo. I get iHeart and Pandora on my phone (along with just about any other streaming service you could imagine). The phone connects to the internet via WiFi so no data usage charges. I bought a little $20 bluetooth receiver, so now I can carry the phone in my pocket, if I need to pause it or change the channel I can do that from where ever I am in the shop. No wonder they don't make those anymore.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm use "I Heart Radio" to listen to the oldies (50's &60's.) Best of all, it's FREE!

Ooops! Sorry about that Larry! My fingers were flying across the keyboard apparently! I meant to type $200 (still not cheap but Bill sure loved that radio - I had to go over and fix his computer on a regular basis so I got to listen to it pretty often - and that's why Mary decided I should have it after Bill passed away).
    Last edited by Mike Schnorr; 11-10-2015 at 9:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

Blog Entries
    Speaking of those internet radio devices. I have a Roku Sound Bridge that i used to use to listen to I.R. with. I think I paid around $100 for it back in the day. This was Roku's flagship product until they discovered streaming video. After that, they pretty much dropped support for it. It still works, but I never use it for music anymore. The display shows the date and time when in standby mode, so I use it for a clock. It it ever dies it won't be any great loss.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I-Heart Radio and Jango..both good

iPhone / iHeart / ION Audio Block Rocker Bluetooth Portable Speaker System

http://www.costco.com/ION-Audio-Bloc...100215941.html