Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internet radio for the shop

internet radio for the shop

Rather than hijacking Jerry Bruette’s thread on buying an AM/FM radio I’ll start one on internet radios. The timing of his thread couldn’t be better. A few weeks ago the radio/CD player I had in my shop died. The one I’ve been using since gets really lousy reception. Looking at some of the brands mentioned in his thread led me to internet radio. It looks good to me and I’m wondering if you have any thoughts and recommendations about using internet radio and specifically any brands or models. I want something I can easily take from my garage to my basement so no separate speakers. I have Comcast cable and the wifi signals are strong in each location. I’m not looking for anything that requires a paid subscription like Sirius. Too often the jazz station from Baltimore fades out and the pbs station from DC is too close on the dial to a much stronger station that interferes (and preaches).Grace's Encore and Mondo look like possibilities.
    Your thoughts.

Paul

I use my iPhone with a Bose Soundlink III Bluetooth speaker, a Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin Air, and a Bowers and Wilkins A7. The Bowers and Wilkins both use Apple Airplay technology, so you would need an iPhone, iPad, or iPod. If I'm in the shop working on a major project, I'll use the A7, but for most days, the Bose is great. I subscribe to Pandora, but you can also get it free with ads. The only downfall with Pandora, is that you have to interact with it about once every two hours (i.e. thumbs up or thumbs down), or it will disconnect. I love Pandora!

I do not have a smart phone and do not much care for Pandora. Started out looking for a new FM radio then I learned a little about the internet radio and thought it sounded nice. Better reception and a bigger pond to fish in so to speak.

Sonos here for both radio and stored music.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Are you an Amazon Prime member? If so you can access all kinds of music included with your account. If not there are other services -- I know people who like Spotify and I use the free version at work. You could also look into I Heart Radio. I also use my smartphone; it makes it easy to access my subscriptions due to the built-in wifi and display, plus it's portable. You could look for an old used and deactivated smartphone for next to nothing and use the wifi to access your music all over the house. In my shop I use my old A/V receiver and mounted indoor/outdoor speakers and in my garage or on my deck I use a cordless Ryobi work radio. Cheap and portable.

Spotify works nicely for me and the ads are no big deal to listen to hours and hours of Led Zeppelin.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Sonos with Pandora . Sonos also gives access to regular band radio stations nationakly

I'll second the others who recommend Sonos. I actually work for Sonos so I won't say much as I don't want it to sound like a commercial. I will say that this is probably the best company I've ever worked for in how they treat employees and customers. I'm a Customer Care Manager and I can honestly tell you I probably take 25 kudos calls from customers for every one complaint call...highly unusual in a contact center. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheers,

Aaron

I have a cheap/old desktop I use to run my CNC machine and play music via Pandora. Works well if you already have an old monitor, etc. lying around the house.

Yes I have a question: Can I get a discount on 10 more play 3 units?????!!!!

Google music...$10/month. 60+ million songs, playlists, radio stations, no commercials! I think iTunes has something similar too. For local stations and those far away, iHeart and TuneIn apps, both free. Hook your phone, tablet, iPod, laptop or computer to some old computer speakers or a bluetooth speaker device and you're in business.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    I do not have a smart phone and do not much care for Pandora. Started out looking for a new FM radio then I learned a little about the internet radio and thought it sounded nice. Better reception and a bigger pond to fish in so to speak.
    I use an old discontinued Livio Radio (from back when they were one of the few players in this arena). If you don't like Pandora, you may want to analyze why. You do have to interact with it for a period of time before it can factor in your preferences. There are no advertisements with the Pandora subscription.

The Livio (this is an old model and newer offerings are probably superior) gets about any station that has an internet presence so, I have a dozen of my own stations tuned to types of music I may be in the mood for along with a half a dozen favorites that normally traverse the airwaves in my area. I generally just use 'shuffle' to listen to things from all my stations. Speaking as someone who can "get used" to the selection from a few hundred CD's in a carousal, the fact that Pandora meets my needs says quite a lot ;-)

P.s. I guess I should mention that I do not use the internal amp/speaker. I plug into a powered speaker system that I have installed in the shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-04-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Yes I have a question: Can I get a discount on 10 more play 3 units?????!!!!
    If you like the Play:3 wait until you hear the new Play:5. You think our power tools are loud, crank that thing up to max and you'll think you're in a night club.

Blog Entries
    Let's see, You want to do a little research on internet radio to see if it might work for you in your shop. However, you do not have a smart phone and you don't much care for Pandora. Have I got that right?
    I have a couple of comments.
    A smart phone is probably the most hassle free way of accessing internet radio. The possibilities are almost endless for whatever service is out there, most have a free option. You can either hook it up to an old stereo via a cheap cable or you could get a rather inexpensive bluetooth speaker to hook to and have the controls right in your pocket. A lot of people don't realize that an old smartphone that is not tied to a phone plan can still be used as a wifi internet device so all those music services are still available via wifi. If you have some friends or relatives that have an old outdated smart phone laying around they might even give it to you. I think there are even places that would sell you one for pretty cheap. Also, if you have a kindle fire or some other tablet device, those will work too.

You didn't say what your objection to Pandora is, but you can configure it to where it will only play the songs you like, you just have to spend a little time selecting the artist you like and press the thumbs up on the songs you really like, pretty soon it just plays only the really good stuff. I think iheart radio has lots of internet radio stations that you just sort of tune in like an OTA radio, that might be a better choice for you. There is pretty much an endless set of choices out there.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks for the time all of you took to reply and the suggestions. Think I'll start by digging my old laptop out of the closet and get some speakers for it. It won't be as easy as moving a radio between shop and garage but it's the cheapest route. My biggest concern is the dust buildup. Maybe I can hook my dust collection up to it. If I get big enough speakers I won't hear the DC.