Thread: Relief in the pole barn

Relief in the pole barn

This is a question for those of you who have your woodworking shop in a pole barn. Do any of you have bathroom facilities in yours? I live in Michigan and my pole barn is well insulated but it is only heated in the winter when I'm working in it so I don't have water going to it. I'm looking for ideas or products that would keep me from walking all the way back to the house.

I have a lemon tree outside my workshop!.

I live in the country on 20 acres so just go out the door.

In the time it would take me to walk to the house, I can just use the yard.

Yard as well
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Did I mention we have the best lemons in the District?

Neighbors all come in to pick them... me, I wouldn't eat 'em if you paid me - I know why they are so yellow!

I have a bathroom in my workshop. Does come in handy. My previous shop was about 200 feet from the house and although somewhat rural not a lot of trees. When I built this shop I put in hot water floor heat and a bathroom. I had to install a grinder toilet as the shop,is about 5 feel below the house. This shop is rural, but not rural enough. It sure beats trying to clean up before going to the house.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

how about a chemical toilet like in a RV

Down here where I live its very sandy soil.
    We use what's colloquially called a "camp sh*tter".
    That is a 55 gall plastic drum with holes drilled in upper 1/3 put in the ground and surrounded by a foot of gravel.

Not for heavy use, not "up to code" but they do work just like any other septic tank/drainfield.

I do not have a bathroom in my barn, I just go outside or go back to the house if not feasible.

Make a composting toilet a-la Humanure handbook, used properly it should work well and not smell. http://humanurehandbook.com/humanure_toilet.html

I think the main idea is how cold your building will get in the winter with the heat off. My steel building is very well insulated, so even on the coldest days the shop never gets below 45˚ inside with the heat off.

I put in a toilet and wash tub in one corner (5X5' to conserve floor space) when finishing the inside of the building and don't have to worry about it freezing. Our norma winter nights are a low of 25˚, but it has been as low as -5˚ and had no problems. You could aways put in a tiny heater in the bath if needed. This is my second shop with facilities and wouldn't be without it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (99.8 KB, 32 views)

Found out why the neighbors are picking my lemons!

They are $1.50 EACH at the supermarket (not per pound - EACH!).

Might have to start selling them!

Electric toilet.