Thread: Phone Privacy ?

Phone Privacy ?

LOML and I both wear hearing aids and have a little difficulty using the telephone. The great state of Ca. has a service that will provide phones for hearing impaired people. Our audiologist suggested these phones would be louder, clearer, really nice, and work very well for us, so we requested one. They do work very well.

A few minutes work to install and we begin using it, works well. Later when I got around to the instruction book it seems this phone has a privacy clause, not an agreement like a TOS would have. This a Clarity model c4220+ the privacy clause states that it will automatically send info back to Clarity "..... including software and hardware settings, phonebook,caller ID history and other information you have stored on your device ,it's a long list. It continues on with who they will will share it with, it's a long list to, but includes their agents and suppliers. I have disconnected the phone and checking other options. Beware of privacy clauses. Does anybody have a suggestion for a good phone for hard of hearing people?

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Speaking of phone privacy, apparently android phones record and save all voice recognition items and send back to the mothership. Unless you turn the function off.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Speaking of phone privacy, apparently android phones record and save all voice recognition items and send back to the mothership. Unless you turn the function off.
    My understanding is the way voice recognition works with Android is all voice goes back to Google's servers to do the actual voice recognition. My dad's voice recognition on his Android won't work without data. I understand that IOS with Apple is the same way.

This is a land line phone that stores in memory numbers you call and numbers of people who call you. Then Clarity "interrogates" your phone for this info and more. They electronically enter your phone and record your data. To me this seems more intrusive than recording data sent out by a computer or phone. It was certainly unexpected on a land line.

Looking at Clarity,s web site this model replaces the identical phone that did not have this "interrogation" feature. Compared to a iPhone or android I suppose it's a distinguishen without a difference.

I have only to cut a piece of plywood for the mattress support on one bed of a twin set and then done with this never ending project. Forget about the phone and do some woodworking.
    Last edited by william watts; 11-02-2015 at 4:21 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

My latest hearing aids are blue tooth and the remote is the microphone. As long as the batteries in everything are charged they work well. They also pair to the car for hands free. When you need new ones again they will probably have the technology.

If you want a shock, read the permissions for some of the apps on your phone. You give them the rights to almost everything on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    LOML and I both wear hearing aids and have a little difficulty using the telephone. The great state of Ca. has a service that will provide phones for hearing impaired people. Our audiologist suggested these phones would be louder, clearer, really nice, and work very well for us, so we requested one. They do work very well.

A few minutes work to install and we begin using it, works well. Later when I got around to the instruction book it seems this phone has a privacy clause, not an agreement like a TOS would have. This a Clarity model c4220+ the privacy clause states that it will automatically send info back to Clarity "..... including software and hardware settings, phonebook,caller ID history and other information you have stored on your device ,it's a long list. It continues on with who they will will share it with, it's a long list to, but includes their agents and suppliers. I have disconnected the phone and checking other options. Beware of privacy clauses. Does anybody have a suggestion for a good phone for hard of hearing people?
    If this is a land line phone how does the phone send the data back to the manufacturer?

Sounds like just what I need, I consider my day wasted if I have not offended someone and living out in the country and often not seeing anyone but my wife for days (she doesn't count for this discussion). This would greatly expand my opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    If this is a land line phone how does the phone send the data back to the manufacturer?
    Their privacy policy states that from time to time they may "interrogate" the phone. I take this to mean they have installed hardware & software that enables them to send data,via land line, to the phone and activate a upload of stored data.
    Bill

I talked with the telephone people about returning the phone. I learned that the phones they are sending have been reprogramed at the factory to defeat the ability to upload any info to Clarity, or anybody else. The phones purchased at retail have not been reprogramed and will upload data back to big brother. We are keeping the phone, it seems the the state of CA. got it almost right. The retail phones still spy on your calls.

Thanks Myk for the link.

Bill
    Bill