Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressors 2 stage

Air Compressors 2 stage

Hello all,

Just walked up from my shop where my air compressor of 15 or so years just blew up. The motor just scattered all over the floor. Oh well. Always wanted a 60 gallon 2 stage so I guess this is the time to buy one. Any suggestions? A few years ago I had a Quincey all picked out but never pulled the trigger because I had a working compressor. I'm not wanting to break the bank on this but would still like a nice one that is capable of running some air tools and that I can spray finishes with. The old one was a Sears Contractor series with a 33 gallon tank and a oil less 7.5 hp NOISEY motor. Seems like it ran a lot and I had my system pretty well sealed up. Maybe just the nature of this oil less type compressors. Love to find a nice used one

any help is appreciated.

thank you

Ben

I apologize this thread needs moved to general topics. Please do so

thank you

What is the budget and oinly new or used to?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You don't mention a budget but IR makes a TS-3 used, or a TS-4 new that puts out about 14 to 15 cfm and has a 60 gallon tank. They are generally under a $1k at Tractor Supply and online.Pretty good performer and within reason is also quiet. I work for IR in a test facility ,have my pick, and own that unit. The TS-4 puts out a little more air than the 3 but would not be a deal breaker.

Fellows,

1K or so is my budget. The IR sounds like it might be a contender. I was not considering an IR because I assumed they were pretty loud. I was an iron worker so i have used a lot of compressors but in our line of work noise was not a priority. We didn't care as long as it pumped air. I have a Tractor Supply near by I might have to stop and see. I've found a Quincy online that I liked also a QT Pro 5 i believe for about $1350.00 shipped and no tax from Air Compressor Direct. I've read a bunch of reviews and for the most part the reviews are positive. Noise level is pretty good as some say. I was given a suggestion to buy two smaller units and connect them together to get a relative high CFM with the convenience of having two portables. but only need to have one running when the demand is low for air. The fellow suggested California Air compressors. He said he has been wanting to do this for some time. I never gave this a thought. I would have two smaller 5-6 or possibly 6-7 cfm compressors. Use one when only needing air for a machine and then engage the other when spraying. I would think tank size would have a bearing on this wouldn't you think?

thanks for the info. Hopefully the moderator will move this thread. I did not notice when i posted it that I was in the classified section. my apologizes

Many of us have started threads in the wrong section, but more than likely this will move to the shop forum. Having been in a shop with very loud tools, I would seriously consider paying more for one that didn't make lots of noise.

If you don't mind playing with mechanical things, think about used. older compressors by Quincy, Speedaire or IR are a great buy as they were meant to be run 3 shifts all day, every day. I have a Speedaire that was run constantly for 30 years in a UPS sorting facility and it still runs great. get something from one of the big names and normally parts are easy to come buy and relatively inexpensive to rebuild a whole compressor head if you ever need to.

I needed a bigger compressor recently, since my Speedaire is 3 phase and in storage, so I picked up a Gardner Denver 40 gallon from the late 20s on CL for $90. rewired it, cleaned out and refilled the crank box and it runs great. With filters and everything I'm in about $150 for a 2 stage compressor that'll do most anything I need of it in my small shop.

-Michael

EDIT- Also, if you want quieter and more efficient, make sure you get a 1720 RPM motor rather than a 3450 RPM motor both of my bigger compressors run on a slower speed motor and make a nice soft thup thup thup instead of the jackhammer of my little oilless portable. 3450 oil lubed is quieter than an oilless, slower speed motor is even quieter.
    Last edited by Michael Arruda; 11-01-2015 at 1:37 PM.

Michael,
    At first i might have not considered an older compressor but after a few threads from all of you i'm looking that way. As you were stating about the 1720 vs.3450 I'm finding that out. What I am starting to find are the compressors in the $1000.00 range to $1500.00 range still have the 3450 rpm. Then you'll see one under $1000.00 and it runs at !720 rpm. Like the one Bel Air it runs at a low rpm but I'm inclined to stay away after reading some reviews. I believe this will be a longer search than I was anticipating but that's ok. I have a small 2 gallon to use for small things right now. It just won't run my vacuum bag which I do need to use. I'm thinking that was the reason for my compressor to implode. I couldn't draw a vacuum the other day for some reason, the compressor was coming up to pressure which was 140 tank and 100 on the regulator. But for some reason that I've not found yet the vac pump was not pulling down. I was getting 25 inches of vac on the gauge and on the pressure gauge side I was only getting to 80 psi if I fed it with a 1/2" hose. I sort of have two issues right now. I contacted Vacuum Pressing Systems to see if they had a solution for me. I'm afraid I might not be able to test out what the tell me for lack of a compressor that can pull a vacuum. I'll end up blowing up this little one too if I try to draw down a vac bag with it.

Try aircompressorsdirect

One day I was at a friends tool and die machine shop where he does many different things. He had a good size compressor and another large bare ac tank and they were hooked together. He told me that the compress didnt run so much when he was busy, and I liked the idea.

Check out California air they have some very quiet ones!

Just an FYI. I spent some time looking at 60 gal compressors last year to replace mine. Went with a 60 Gal Belair. Italian made pump. When all was said and done, about $800.00 tied up in it. No complaints. Quieter than my old one as well, but I don't know the RPMs off hand.

Eaton compressors advertise a db rating for all their compressors

https://www.eatoncompressor.com/

Bob

i quickly looked at the link for Eaton
    very nice. I'm going to dig a bit deeper.
    Thank you for the link. This a good lead

Sorry Ben, it only took a few days for one of us to catch this and move it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney