Thread: Slate etched pattern 'coming off'

Slate etched pattern 'coming off'

I have a sample coaster that has been lasered with a logo. Looked great initially, but the artwork is easily removed.

A bit of a scratch with a fingernail and the artwork comes off, like it was printed on. I took a video of this which I might be able to post here, but a bit worried.

I'm used to sandblasting which gives a deep white etch and appreciate that the laser is only going to 'mark' the surface rather than deeply etch it, but surely that's a permanent mark and not something that can be easily removed with a fingernail?

Id be concerned sending that to a customer as the slightest abrasion with a glass or coffee cup would soon render it useless.

any ideas what has gone wrong with it? I quite fancied a bit of slate work but I'll not bother if that's going to happen. I've seen everyone else's slate items and they look great, with a white image, this was a beige image to start with like a print.

its a sample supplied by a laser machine supplier, not something I've bodged up myself.

Cheers

dj

You need to go slow. REALLY slow. So you get deep enough. I think we run around 8% speed full power on our speedy 300, 80w engraving slate. Better hope their logo is small
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Will email you tomorrow about our previous discussion Dave...don't go buying a laser just yet.....
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Will email you tomorrow about our previous discussion Dave...don't go buying a laser just yet.....
    Thanks Dave (as ever)

dj

Hi Dave, I've don quite a bit of Welsh Slate coasters, this one here has been on my desk for
    over a year, used every day and still as good as new. I use 300DPI 100 power and 50 speed
    on my 50W helix20151102_101058.jpg
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Quote Originally Posted by vic casware View Post
    Hi Dave, I've don quite a bit of Welsh Slate coasters, this one here has been on my desk for
    over a year, used every day and still as good as new. I use 300DPI 100 power and 50 speed
    on my 50W helix
    thats looks good Vic thanks.

Ive had a good result with a machine demo and I used Brazilian slate as I had some handy from a patio job. The Welsh looks a lot better so need to get some of that next time I'm down that way. I'm hoping to pick some up direct from a mine which might be an economical option rather than from a 'supplier'

cheer for the answers - I'm guessing the original problem was wrong settings which is disappointing from a supplier :-(

dj

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hutton View Post
    thats looks good Vic thanks.

Ive had a good result with a machine demo and I used Brazilian slate as I had some handy from a patio job. The Welsh looks a lot better so need to get some of that next time I'm down that way. I'm hoping to pick some up direct from a mine which might be an economical option rather than from a 'supplier'

cheer for the answers - I'm guessing the original problem was wrong settings which is disappointing from a supplier :-(

dj
    or my back garden Dave as it's full of the dam stuff!!
    You did what !