Thread: "B" weight paper 12" PSA sanding disc. Will this work ?

"B" weight paper 12" PSA sanding disc. Will this work ?

Greetings all
    I have made an incorrect purchase off eBay of some 12" sanding discs.
    What I have here are 80 grit B weight paper PSA discs Aluminum Oxide Stearated. The package is unopened (50 discs) so I have the option of making a return less my shipping charges but I was wondering how well these discs will work mounted to typical 12" disc sanding machine with a cast iron plate.
    Can someone offer any insight ?

General purpose sanding tasks for occasional hobby use is the intent.

Thank you
    Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis Hawkins; 10-30-2015 at 4:16 PM.

I don't remember the weight of the backing paper, but Shopsmith sanding disks ( PSA ) are paper backed.

Thanks Bruce
    I pulled this off the Shopsmith site: "Their abrasive particles are bonded to a heavy, industrial-grade, pressure sensitive paper backing"

I don't think B weight paper would be considered heavy.
    I wish I had a single disc to give it a try but I don't want to open the package to find out they are not up to the task compared to the typical heavy cloth back discs usually used on a disc sander.

From Norton's site. E & F weight paper is used for belts and disks. When PSA disks "age" the adhesive tends to fail. That's why I pass up the bargin disks at flea markets. Same goes for Kelvar splice on sanding belts. Lucky for me, Klingspor has a retail store close by. I check bargin bin and get cloth backed that is at least 12" wide and cut my own disks. Use spray adhesive to attach them. This month, I will be sanding bodies for Toys for Tot's cars. I have about 400 to do, and usually get about 50 bodies to the disk. By cutting my own, disks cost me less than $0.50 each
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-01-2015 at 8:13 PM.