Thread: Sawstop interior dust collection hose ripped.

Sawstop interior dust collection hose ripped.

Hey guys,
    Recently I noticed that my sawstop wasn't preforming very well on dust collection. I assumed my collector was clogging up and forgot about it. Then today I opened up the side panel and saw that the 4" dust collection hose on the inside of the cabinet had ripped and was hanging by a thread. I was surprised to find that the hose included on the saw (industrial model) is 100% plastic, even the ribbed part is plastic. The rip occurred right under where it attaches it the lower dust shroud. It's not a huge deal, all I did was remove the pipe clamp, move the pipe up a little and re-clamp it. There was still more than enough length to operate properly. I guess if it happens again I will have to replace it with a better quality hose. You guys that have had your saws for a while might want to check yours.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

grumble grumble grumble..... need to check this tonight. Thanks for the warning.

My 3HP PCS comes on Monday so I cant check, but is the angle odd? Is there any chance it could be swapped with a rigid duct? Say of aluminum or PVC, etc.?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    My 3HP PCS comes on Monday so I cant check, but is the angle odd? Is there any chance it could be swapped with a rigid duct? Say of aluminum or PVC, etc.?
    It has to move with the blade carriage. This is in an area that should never really come to much harm if a ZCI is used. I do lose "chunks" through the slot when I am doing dados but, nothing large enough to tear the hose. I poke a vac wand in there every now and again, maybe I better check mine as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    This is the hose that connects the port on the back of the saw to the lower dust shroud. It needs to be flexible because it needs to rotate when you change the angle of the blade. There must be enough tension on it to tear it over time. That being said I doubt a quality hose would have this issue.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Blog Entries
    As others have posted, you need that hose to connect the port on the carriage to connect to the outside of the saw at extreme angles and heights. By shortening the hose a bit, you may have made it difficult to achieve full blade height and/or 45 degrees. I would bet you that SS will send you hose if you ask. The warranty on my saw was (if I remember) 2 years.

I made sure to check that the hose could still reach with the saw set at 45 with the blade all the way up. I'm sure I could contact Sawstop but I purchased the saw in 2008. Plus I have some extra hose if I ever did feel it necessary to replace it.

Mine fell off. Wondered why it was so dusty!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It has to move with the blade carriage. This is in an area that should never really come to much harm if a ZCI is used. I do lose "chunks" through the slot when I am doing dados but, nothing large enough to tear the hose. I poke a vac wand in there every now and again, maybe I better check mine as well.
    Hey Glenn,
    What is a ZCI?
    Wood working is like a vicious cycle. The more tools you buy the more you find to buy.

Not Glenn, but ZCI::zero clearance insert