Thread: 5x5x5 Wye's for dust collection

5x5x5 Wye's for dust collection

Can anyone recommend a source with a decent price. My older 2hp grizzly motor has a 5 inch input and output so I don't want to go down to 4 inch or up to 6 inch (I think it's almost as bad going larger as it is smaller) I saw some at Rockler but they were almost $80 a piece. If I have to pay that much I'm going to buy a larger motor with 6 inch openings.

Any help appreciated.

Take a look at Kencraft or Air Handling Systems.

I used galvanized furnace ducting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    I used galvanized furnace ducting.
    Same here.
    NOW you tell me...

I am using galvanized ducting as well but for some reason, not finding 5 x 5 x 5

type "5x5x5 wye" in google

1st link has 20 in stock
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Oneida Air $34.16. for 5x5x5 wye

Its not bad going larger.
    A 2HP collector should perform just fine with 6" pipe.

Check out Penn State Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Its not bad going larger.
    A 2HP collector should perform just fine with 6" pipe.

Check out Penn State Industries.
    I can support this statement. I have a 2hp through a SDD, which has a 5" inlet. I have a 5" to 6" adapter from the SDD to my main lines. I am happy with the result on my tools, which include a 20" planer, edge sander, drum sander, spindle sander, table saw band saw and jointer.

Thanks guys, not sure why I was having trouble. I appreciate the responses

I can support this statement. I have a 2hp through a SDD, which has a 5" inlet. I have a 5" to 6" adapter from the SDD to my main lines. I am happy with the result on my tools, which include a 20" planer, edge sander, drum sander, spindle sander, table saw band saw and jointer.
    Hi Mike,

Have you tested your system with an anemometer ? Or are you just satisfied with how it performs ?

My experience with adding a short length of 6" to a 5" main is that the numbers went down. It still performed adequately but at a reduced draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Thanks guys, not sure why I was having trouble. I appreciate the responses
    Lowes

The advantage of the American style Wye is that the crimped part is the double ends. They fit perfectly into blast gates and/or flex hose slides right on !

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra View Post
    Hi Mike,

Have you tested your system with an anemometer ? Or are you just satisfied with how it performs ?

My experience with adding a short length of 6" to a 5" main is that the numbers went down. It still performed adequately but at a reduced draw.
    I don't concern myself with numbers and stats. I rely on results and how something meets my expectations. What I really know is that my 20" planer produces a lot of shavings, and very little escapes. I also have a 6X89 edge sander, 16/32 drum sander, and full size spindle sander that it deals with very effectively as well. My baseline for that is the small amount of dust on my flat surfaces in the shop and the amount I see in the drum.
    I had one of those 3hp cyclones (Laguna, King etc) and it did not perform well at all. I really put the 6" ducting in for that, and just kept it when I went back to my 2hp/SDD set up.

I don't concern myself with numbers and stats. I rely on results and how something meets my expectations. What I really know is that my 20" planer produces a lot of shavings, and very little escapes. I also have a 6X89 edge sander, 16/32 drum sander, and full size spindle sander that it deals with very effectively as well. My baseline for that is the small amount of dust on my flat surfaces in the shop and the amount I see in the drum.
    I had one of those 3hp cyclones (Laguna, King etc) and it did not perform well at all. I really put the 6" ducting in for that, and just kept it when I went back to my 2hp/SDD set up.
    Okay....

Sorry to highjack your thread Scott !

Are we going to see pic's of your new set up when it's done ?

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra – Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photographer

Scott, I have the same DC as you but the newer Grizzly 2 HP DCs have a 6 inch inlet. The specs are the same though. I use the wye that came with mine and go to two 4 inch runs. But if I were you I would buy the metal inlet cover for the newer unit and use 6 inch fittings which are more common. This would be much better than using a 6 to 5 inch reducer. It's P/N P1029006A and costs $18.75.