Thread: sandblast Compressor Problem

sandblast Compressor Problem

I have and Ingersoll Rand 185 tow behind compressor. I haven't had any real problems with it but when I am using my abrasive pickup (which uses 100cfm) it cannot maintain 100 psi. It drops down to 80psi and takes forever to vacume up the media. It doesn't matter if It is 50ft of hose or 200ft the pressure won't stay above 80. Anyone have a problem like this before?

Even a big unit like that will lose a lot of pressure with the size of the nozzle. For small jobs I use a 50 gallon, and my nozzle is only 3/8" with 6' hose. I still have to wait for it a lot. For big jobs I send it out to a guy with a compressor that's as big as a small bedroom, with a 2" nozzle. He can run all day, but has to wear a leather "space suit" with an oxygen helmet.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hi Matthew, I'm not sure what you mean by "abrasive pickup", are you talking about a pressurized hopper? If so, there is probably a worn out gasket or small hole somewhere that your'e not aware of, try pressurizing the pot and looking/feeling around all connections and fittings/elbows etc. for small leaks, do you use a dead man switch? Those can get leaks which will cause the system to not pressurize properly. pictures of your set up would help us to diagnose your problem.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.