Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about how to feed a 110/220v single phase motor via a 3 phase 220v outlet

Questions about how to feed a 110/220v single phase motor via a 3 phase 220v outlet

In my property, my basement/workshop has 2 outlets are 220v 3-phase which are originally(previous owner) powered a dryer and a range. It's my workshop right now, I plan to use those two outlets to power my woodworking power tools, like a 17" grizzly 2hp bandsaw. My question will be is that practical? If yes, what's the best way to do that? Is there any converter power line to buy or I have to make myself a customized one?

If someone can point me to a tutorial or similar, that would be a great help. Thanks and happy woodworking!

Are you sure it's 3 phs??? Did the PO run a convertor or was it actually 3 phs from the power co.? It doesn't sound like this is a commercial property and that must of been a huge dryer and range to run 3 phs? Post a pic of your breaker and that will tell us a bit.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Bo,
    Where are you located? Is this a home workshop? (If in the US and your home, you probably DO NOT have 3-phase power.)

3-phase will have at least 4 conductors, and possibly 5. (L1,L2,L3,Gnd = 4; or L1,L2,L3,Neutral,Gnd = 5).

Look at the breaker panel feeding your outlets. If CB spans 2 slots, it is probably 220V/1-phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Are you sure it's 3 phs??? Did the PO run a convertor or was it actually 3 phs from the power co.? It doesn't sound like this is a commercial property and that must of been a huge dryer and range to run 3 phs? Post a pic of your breaker and that will tell us a bit.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will post a picture tonite. It is NOT a commercial property. It's a residential single family house. I'm guessing the electric range and dryer is a 3-phase only because the outlet is looks like this.
    41LNG0UCSFL._AC_UL320_SR270,320_.jpg

I will post a picture of my outlet and breaker on my power panel later. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Chen View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will post a picture tonite. It is NOT a commercial property. It's a residential single family house. I'm guessing the electric range and dryer is a 3-phase only because the outlet is looks like this.
    41LNG0UCSFL._AC_UL320_SR270,320_.jpg

I will post a picture of my outlet and breaker on my power panel later. Thanks!
    Hi, that's a single phase receptacle, which makes sense as homes are single phase with extremely few exceptions.

If the receptacle is conveniently located simply put a new cord cap on your tool to fit the receptacle. The receptacle has 240 and 120 volts available as it has a neutral...........Regards, Rod.

That looks like a NEMA 14-30 which is a single phase 240V 30A receptacle.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Bo,
    Where are you located? Is this a home workshop? (If in the US and your home, you probably DO NOT have 3-phase power.)

3-phase will have at least 4 conductors, and possibly 5. (L1,L2,L3,Gnd = 4; or L1,L2,L3,Neutral,Gnd = 5).

Look at the breaker panel feeding your outlets. If CB spans 2 slots, it is probably 220V/1-phase.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm located in WI, USA. It is a residential house. I do agree with you, in my memory the CB only spans 2 slots. I will double check it.

Do you own and know how to use a multimeter?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You have standard single phase residential service (to a 99.99% probability). If your tools are single phase (which is likely) you can just get a plug that matches the outlet and operate them at 240 volts.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    If you look closely between the 12:00 and 3:00 contacts, you can see the type of plug. I can just read 'NEMA' but not the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    If you look closely between the 12:00 and 3:00 contacts, you can see the type of plug. I can just read 'NEMA' but not the rest.

No need to read it, just match the picture:

receptacles.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    It's actually rated 125/250 volts, for 120/240V, they are dual voltage devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Chen View Post
    In my property, my basement/workshop has 2 outlets are 220v 3-phase which are originally(previous owner) powered a dryer and a range. It's my workshop right now, I plan to use those two outlets to power my woodworking power tools, like a 17" grizzly 2hp bandsaw. My question will be is that practical? If yes, what's the best way to do that? Is there any converter power line to buy or I have to make myself a customized one?

If someone can point me to a tutorial or similar, that would be a great help. Thanks and happy woodworking!
    Since you now know you have a single phase system (all but the largest homes do), will you need help wiring your shop for the tools you plan to put in it?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Sounds like he is using the two outlets he already has. Did he say he was rewiring the shop?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Best recommendation would be to hire an electrician. If you don't know what the plug in is, the wiring should be left to a professional.