Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer

Planer

Dear Fellow Woodworkers,

I am looking at two lunchbox planers the Makita 2012NB $545 shipped http://www.amazon.com/Makita-2012NB-...=makita+planer

and the Grizzly G0505 $364 shipped http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-1-2-Planer/G0505

I am new to planers and having been doing a lot of research on them and plan on upgrading to a larger floor standing model with a helical head in time. Knowing that I will more than likely be upgrading to a better planer should I spend the extra 200 on the makita? It has stellar reviews and I have been looking for some newer reviews of the G0505 on here but haven't seen any. Amazon has some but a lot of the negative reviews seem to be shipping of operator error involved.

Let me know what y'all think,

Steven Fowler

Wood Magazine and Fine Woodworking have reviews available to look at.

FWW actually rated the Craftsman best overall (quite a surprise to me) and a Ryobi best value (an even bigger surprise).
    I don't know why anyone would buy a C'man when a DW735 is a few dollars more.

If this is kind of a stepping stone planer for you, I would take a look at the Ridgid.
    You can buy it off the shelf at HD and always take it back if you don't like it.
    Several years ago I bought the small DW it came broken so I sent it back and got the Ridgid.
    After I got it home, I decided to go straight to a big machine.
    HD took it back no questions asked.

Personally, I own several large Grizzly tools but I would be a little hesitant on the Grizzly model.

Before you decide on the two you mentiond be sure to check out the DeWaly DW735. This is a very popular lunchbox planer and be purchased at good deals. It is an excellent tool!

I have not used the Grizzly, but I have the Makita and I am very satisfied with it.

Robert, out of interest, why would you be hesitant about the Grizzly?

Depending on your time frame for upgrading I might look at resale value, if you have not factored that in. The Dewalt 735 has a great reputation, is about the same price as the Makita, and would be very easy to unload in the future. I have one and love it. That said the Makita and a Rigid were on my short list when I bought about two years ago. If your upgrade is in the near future maybe a used lunchbox planer might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

Personally, I own several large Grizzly tools but I would be a little hesitant on the Grizzly model.
    Reason for being hesitant?

I think when you do move up to a floor model planer, you're going to wonder why you bought a lunchbox planer in the first place. So if you have the cash, make the dash!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    I think when you do move up to a floor model planer, you're going to wonder why you bought a lunchbox planer in the first place. So if you have the cash, make the dash!
    I have access to a 5 hp Powermatic planer as well as a Ridgid lunchbox planer. Most of the time I use the lunchbox. It is more precise and it leaves a nicer finish.

I have the Makita and my next door neighbor has the Dewalt. I can tell you that all online tests agree with my own findings that the Makita is a little quieter & leaves a slightly better finish. It also gives ZERO snipe in almost all situations. Also, if you will use it a lot, it is much easier to change blades on the Makita. The Makita is also around 10 lbs lighter. The Dewalt is JUST heavy enough for me to not want to move it much.

The Dewalt's advantages are

1: You also have a faster speed, though why any hobbyist would need that I dunno.

2: You can get aftermarket shelix heads for the Dewalt. Not so for the Makita.

3: It has low snipe, but only if you use it "just" right. The Makita beats it in this regard slightly.

Both are great machines and both have excellent resale value.

Both will actually give better results than all but the best stationary planers.

Neither will pull large heavy stock through without some serious help from the operator.

Neither will likely hold up to prolonged use with large stock.

-------------

That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Reason for being hesitant?
    Didn't stand up well in several reviews. On small power tools I prefer to buy off the shelf so I can return it if not satisfied.

Blog Entries
    I have a Dewalt 734 that is bulletproof. Either a 735 or 734 would be a good choice.

I chose the 734 because it does what I want, makes smooth boards. There were too many controls on the 735 and all I wanted is a basic machine.

Also, I was able to pick one up out of stock at a nearby Lowe's.

13. Might want to check out www.cutechtooltool.com They have 5 models 1 straight knife and 4 spiral cutterhead models ranging in price from 299.99 to 549.99

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Davenport View Post
    Might want to check out www.cutechtooltool.com They have 5 models 1 straight knife and 4 spiral cutterhead models ranging in price from 299.99 to 549.99

Without even looking, I can tell you that for $549 you won't get a spiral cutterhead with CARBIDE. At best it will be high speed steel. That might be slightly better than straight knives, but then is the rest of the machine up to snuff? I'd be very careful.

For the price range you mentioned I cant see why you wouldnt go with the tried and true Dewalt DW735.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!