Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's Ready for Winter?

Who's Ready for Winter?

Who is the Creek has prepared for winter? I sent the snow blower in for service and have the blade attachment ready for the DR Mower. What have you done to greet Old Man Winter?

Snow blower has had its oil changed and started so it is ready but I am never ready for winter.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I briefly considered turning the A/C off. Does that count?

I am never ready for winter yet...its a necessity to have the car, snowblower ready to go.

Had a whole house 20KW generator installed.
    Tuned & lubricated the snow blower.
    Covered the window A/C units & insulated those windows.
    Called the snow plow guy.
    Emptied the outside flower pots.
    Broke out the snowshoes.
    Can't wait for spring!!!!!

Glad you reminded me. I'll have to look through the chest of drawers for my heavier T-shirts and shorts.

(What is this "snow blower" thing? I thought snow blew on its own.)
    Regards,
    Dick

I am way behind on winter prep. I am still dealing with fall chores. I can't take the mowing deck off the rider until I am done with leaf cleanup. Last year we got blasted with snow on like Nov 6th. For a number of years a real snow storm hasn't hit until about December 1st.

My snowblower is already tuned and lubricated for the coming winter, All I have to do is add gas.
    I still have to cover the small fishing boat and the canoe. change the tires on my car and put on the snow tires.
    The problem with winter is, it lasts too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I briefly considered turning the A/C off. Does that count?
    LOL, that's about the way it is here. Our winters are wonderful.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    The problem with winter is, it lasts too long.
    North Texas has the EXACT same issue. Sometimes it lasts all day.

Pex in the floor in shed is filled and heated. Already more ready than last year.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I am doing some finishing work and the nights have gone down into the 40's so I turned on the shop furnace on last week.

The sprinkler company arrives Friday to blow out the sprinkler system.

Later this afternoon when the temperatures rise a little, I will put the 2nd coat of paint on the basement window exterior trim.

We don't get enough snow here to warrant a snowblower.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have enough firewood cut split and stacked to last for two years. I'll start cutting more firewood this Spring for the 2017 season. I do plan to purchase a hydraulic splitter, i'm getting too old to split those 20"+ diameter pieces of Sweetgum and Hickory by hand.

Ken,

I thought Idaho had lots of snow, and I don't adhere to your logic. The word "enough" proves highly subjective. With that flawed way of thinking many of my tools would not be in the fold. After all, do we all really cut "enough" wood to justify more than one band saw or table saw?

Rich...parts of Idaho do get a LOT of snow. We live in north central Idaho at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers. As such we live in the bottom of a canyon. Mainstreet's elevation is 750' above sea level and where I live is 1400' above sea level. You climb between 2000-2700 feet in elevation any way you leave town though some routes are more steep and a quicker climb than others. The song "Hot Rod Lincoln" was written by a Spokane musician as he chased a band member up the Lewiston Hill en route home one evening after playing a gig here. On that same hill, I have come off it at 1:00 a.m. with 3' of snow at the top and dry road with bare ground when I got to town at the bottom of the canyon. There are winters here in the valley where we don't see any snow. Last year IIRC, we had about 3/4" of snow once. It's hard for me to justify a snow blower. Woodworking tools are a different matter, however!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....