Thread: Manual mill owners, how do you turn your logs?

Manual mill owners, how do you turn your logs?

I've seen the nice videos of sawmills with hydraulic log turners and was wondering, how do the manual mill owners turn their logs?

I see that TimberKing has a model with a manual (crank operated) log turner. Does anyone know if the hand crank method is easy or not?

Let's assume I have a log about 30" in diameter.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,
    Ours (a Turner) came with a crank (winch) style turner. It works. But it is difficult on larger logs because it has no real leverage. Canthook or peavey will work on the smaller logs but when you get into the big ones, the crank is a minimum necessity. We have had logs so heavy we have used the tractor (with mixed results). I don't know what other options are out there - I will follow this thread with interest. thanks for bringing it up.
    thanks,
    john

Hobbyist woodworker in the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York.

I use a hand crank winch on my home-built mill for the bigger logs. Small ones I turn with a cant hook, really large ones I use a snatch block to double the pulling power of the winch. I wrap the cable part way around the log and connect it to a steel hook (similar to a cant hook with no handle). This will turn a 36" dia x 10' log but that is pushing its limit.

I use a cant hook (Log-Rite) most of the time. For really big logs I normally use my tractor. The hand winch works ok, too, but the tractor is faster. I try to avoid logs over 20" diameter unless I'm quarter-sawing. Big logs on a manual mill = slow, slow, slow.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

My Cooks mill came with a small electric winch, and all the hardware to use it to turn logs. The small winch is not big enough to turn large logs, so I bought a HF winch a little larger so it has the power to roll the bigger logs.

I use a Log Rite cant hook. I find the cant hook is faster than the manual turner on my Woodmizer mill.

The 78" LogRite mega hook will turn some really big logs and save your back.

I use my mini excavator and straps with a cant hook
    also works for loading the logs
    woodmizer LT15 with diesel engine
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

I mounted what looks like a double hitch receiver on the underside of my mills rails. Them mounted one of these cranes on two parallel 2"x2" square tubes that then go into the receivers. It needs help from a large cant hook when trying to roll a 32" maple cant. But it does pretty well for me. I did have to upgrade the winch itself to the HF model that comes with a strap. I just replaced the strap with the cable that came with the crane. Ill try to snap a photo when a get a chance.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...nch-61522.html

James

Ok here it is. Don't mind the mess.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images