Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first and hopefully LAST lathe accident

Jeff,
    Please let me know what kind of face shield you typically wear and if you believe it would have significantly reduced the impact if you were wearing it. It looks like the impact was quite high on your head. I usually wear the standard light weight face shield that is purchased at any of the big box stores. I question how much protection it is giving me, particularly when turning bowls.
    Mark

I too was using a light weight shield from Lowes. I've had guys in my club say that that have heard og people still being injured while wearing them so suggested I get a Polycarbonate face shield and pointed me to the Uvex S8510 Bionic Shield available on Amazon. Mine will arrive tomorrow.

Jeff

I don't use the cole jaws, but have heard that you keep the tail stock up there till you have done as much as possible, then move it out of the way for the last little bit. Standing out of the line of fire as much as possible helps too.

robo hippy

Sorry to hear of your accident. Thanks for sharing.

When I use cole jaws I always have the tool rest positioned in front of the foot and close to the wood. I have had the bowl come loose but it has never come off. 800 rpm sounds okay to me for a small bowl.

Safe turning

Jeff, Glad you are Ok! I agree with the Uvex S8510 shield. I have used one for a couple of years and have luckily had only one small piece come off and hit me. Saved by the shield! My neighbor was not so lucky last year and got hit in the hand and forehead by a piece of purpleheart that went through into his attic!! He however was turning it WAY too fast.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

+1 to what Wally said. Thanks for posting the graphic reminder. I rarely use cole jaws any more, preferring the vacuum chuck or if it is too porous a donut chuck.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Hi Thom,

I am indeed working on my vacuum chuck. I have made a couple of the PVC type however I can never seem to get the bowl trued up on them. There is always wobble. So I will most likely make one out of segmented rings which is what Ernie Conover taught me. I just have to get some time.

Jeff

I'm going to see Jimmy Clews demo Saturday for the Chicago Woodturners. As fast as he spins wood maybe I'll wear my face shield. I stuff a garden kneeler in my coveralls when roughing out bowls as a chest protector. I was hit in the sternum with a chunk of hard maple and it hurt for three weeks. Thanks for the reminder. Glad it wasn't worse.
    Member Illiana Woodturners