Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacement Lenses?

Check your lenses frequently. Depending on what you are doing you may have to clean them multiple times in a day, or, just once a week. The point is, checking takes less than a minute and can save in lens cost and ruined materials. In 20 years I've never replaced a lens. (I am the only operator of the machine so that helps)

Do not use Windex or whatever is handy.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yes, you can use Windex...

MSDS sheets

Zeiss lens cleaner
    Isopropyl Alcohol, 4-6%
    Water, 94-96%

Uvex lens cleaner:
    2-Butoxyethanol, less than 6% (a form of ethylene glycol)
    no other ingredients listed, likely water

Leader lens cleaning fluid
    Water, 88-95%
    secret ingredient, 5-10% (likely alcohol)
    2nd secret ingredient, less than .1%
    sodium bicarb, less than .1%
    anti static & fog additives less than 1%...

Windex
    .5 to 1.5% 2-Butoxyethanol, .5 to 1.5%
    .5 to 1.5% Ethylene glycol hexyl ether
    1 to 5% Isopropyl alcohol
    60-100% water

Fantastik
    1 to 5% of each:
    Benzyl alcohol
    Sodium C14-17 Alkyl Sec Sulfonate
    Diisopropanolamine
    Ethyleneglycol Monohexylether

--Notice there's nothing different about Windex than 'lens cleaners'. And Zeiss gets away with charging good money for an ounce of water with a couple of drops of rubbing alcohol in it?
    Fantastik's 'C14-17' ingredient is a foaming surfactant, most of the word "Diisopropanalamine" is 'isopropal', and of course, it contains antifreeze...

According to Taryn Williford, (apartmenttherapyc.com) as to what to /not to use on camera lenses-
    WRONG: Soapy Solutions
    RIGHT: Alcohol-Based Lens Cleaner or a huff of your breath.
    When you need a bit of moisture, don't turn to a soapy lens cleaner. It takes too long to dry, attracting even more dust in the process. Instead use a fast-drying alcohol-based cleaner (always applied first to a cloth and not directly to your lens). Or try the proven method many pro photogs stick with: Give it a good huff of breath across the lens.

So it's okay to use you're own breath too. And how bad can a soft, clean 100% cotton swab be to use?
    Fantastik's only 'bad' ingredient is the foaming surfactant, and according to the above, only because it doesn't dry as fast...

The funny thing is, I can melt acrylic with alcohol, yet it's thee recommended cleaner for lenses.

I rest my case.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kev

You shouldn't even use Windex on your eyeglasses.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    --Notice there's nothing different about Windex than 'lens cleaners'.
    I know that Windex leaves a residue on glass that makes sandblast resist difficult to stick. I have no idea what it is, but there is something in it that leaves this residue. I'll continue to use the "expensive" cleaner - over the 10 years I've been doing this, I have spent a whopping $30 on lens cleaner and tissues, that's much cheaper than one lens, even a cheap Chinese lens.

I just bought new eyeglasses and they specifically advised against using Windex as it removes a coating on the lens. I'll take their word for it. No new lenses in 20 years indicates that I must be doing something right.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Zeiss lens cleaner
    Isopropyl Alcohol, 4-6%
    Water, 94-96%

Is that really all that is? Can easily make that ourselves than. so 99% Isopropyl diluted to 4-6% of the solution? No problem.

Btw when one of these websites sells you a lens to replace a Trotec, how hard is it to fit it in Trotec's little holder? Just glued in there?

All this stuff about alcohol to clean lens I thought acetone was the recommended cleaner and thats pretty cheap.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    All this stuff about alcohol to clean lens I thought acetone was the recommended cleaner and thats pretty cheap.
    Acetone can destroy your lens coating if allowed to soak for a long time. Only use sparingly if you have a very bad spot you cannot get off with other less agressive cleaners.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)