Thread: Drill Press Accident -- Let's be safe out there, kids!

Blog Entries

Drill Press Accident -- Let's be safe out there, kids!

For the squeamish, I suggest looking at some other thread. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how this guy could get himself in a position where this could happen, but that goes to show you have quickly weird things can take you down. It's a two-parter, so if you want to see a bit more, click the next link when the video ends (further videos show a man getting caught in an industrial press... looks like he doesn't make it, so you've been warned).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRBU4KKpfOo
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Wow. I made it about 1 minute before I had to bail.

That is horrible.

Those are training videos I think guys. Made to simulate a real life situation for paramedics to train with.

I think Dan that we underestimate the risk arising from a drill press - especially these days when everybody has short hair and less floppy clothes.

The fact is though that even you average shop drill press has a heck of a lot of torque, especially when running at low RPM. More than enough to do serious harm if you get something caught up in the spindle.

The other risk arises when using a chuck key, in that if it should for any reason start (some sort of switch problem? - not sure how likely that is) it likewise has the potential to do a lot of harm...

Yup, not a real injury. Not to say that a drill press can't tear you up, but the vid is just of a training exercise.

Phew. I can't imagine how the dude would have drilled straight through his forearm like that! Haha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Those are training videos I think guys. Made to simulate a real life situation for paramedics to train with.
    How on EARTH did I miss that... egg on my face. I couldn't figure out what that stuff around his arm was... now I figure it's a band to hold the drill bit on, ala the arrow through the head technique.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Nonetheless, drill presses can be dangerous. They can rip piece of work right out of your hands and flip it around and whack you faster than you can move out of the way. Tnin metal is always a potential problem when drilling, the bit can grab and the next thing you know you need a band aid or worse. DAMHIKT.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Nonetheless, drill presses can be dangerous. They can rip piece of work right out of your hands and flip it around and whack you faster than you can move out of the way. Tnin metal is always a potential problem when drilling, the bit can grab and the next thing you know you need a band aid or worse. DAMHIKT.
    My first woodworking injury--in 8th grade shop class was using a drill press to drill small rectangles of metal for bulletin board hangers. We made a jig to hold the pieces (a few bent nails in a backer board), but I managed to cut myself inserting or removing a piece into or from the jig.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Ha, I thought it was real until I saw his arm. The stuff around the point of entry gave it aware. That and how in the world could someone have done that unless they were trying to!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!