Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood Storage - Is Stickering Necessary?

I'm going through that now. I bought a siliconate sealer from concrete sealers usa.

I believe radon seal is a a silicone sealer. Similar concept, but a little different.

Another point that I learned the hard way over a very long period of time...
    Stacking your lumber on a concrete or dirty floor for that matter will dull your tools. Even if you set a board down on a dirty floor momentarily, the wood will pick up sand on the surface. So even without concern for warping, picking up moisture etc, its a good idea to have a clean surface to stack you lumber on to prevent contamination. Sticker-ing is probably the easiest/quickest solution.

Also, here is an excellent saw bench from one of our fellow neanders... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=827
    It is extremely sturdy and looks great to boot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bainton View Post
    How do you lean boards against the wall? Doesn't that let the wood bow?
    Clear some wall space at the tallest part of your shop. I used the roof peak on the rear wall.

Vertical Lumber Storage 001.jpg . Vertical Lumber Storage 004.jpg . Vertical Lumber Storage 007.jpg

Lumber Storage 2014 (1).jpg . Vertical Lumber Storage add-on (2).jpg . Vertical Lumber Storage add-on (3).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-18-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Perhaps I'm the oddball, but I stack mine on horizontal racks without any stickering. The racks are made up of "arms" that support the wood every 16" and I stack the wood no more than 5-6 layers. Most often, it's 2-3 layers per. This is all well dried lumber. Anything that's not fully dry get's snickered until it's dry. I don't store a ton of lumber but I don't have an problems with it. The flat stuff stays flat. Stickers in between layers is probably a good idea, but I've never done it in my racks.

The kiln I often buy from stores dry wood for sale on vertical racks. The wood sits directly on the concrete. The concrete does have a vapor barrier below. I know this because in an odd coincidence, the owner and I were discussing the need for vapor barrier and insulation below the concrete on Friday.

I would love to store my lumber vertically because it is so convenient to sort stock and sort. I don't have the room for it nor do I keep enough stock to need that style storage.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

https://www.tramexmeters.eu/Wood-Moisture-Encounter

Or

You could just moisture test your wood and always KNOW what its moisture content is before you use it and not have to "guess".

It's more than knowing the moisture content. The purpose of stickering is to allow air circulation to as much surface area as possible to stacked wood. The combination of sealed ends and stickering helps wood to gain and lose moisture evenly throughout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Moone View Post
    Or You could just moisture test your wood and always KNOW what its moisture content is before you use it and not have to "guess".
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Buy construction lumber to save money but then a $500 moisture meter to check it? Seems counter intuitive.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Buy construction lumber to save money but then a $500 moisture meter to check it? Seems counter intuitive.
    You can get one much cheaper than that.

Yeah guessing is the way to go!.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    You can get one much cheaper than that.
    I've looked into 'Timber check' with strong consideration.

I think it's smart to check, but for someone looking to do a budget project I think it's a hair excessive.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

How about just following "good practices" (as suggested in this thread)? The OP is building a sawbench.

Perhaps if I were drying my own wood or buying wood from sources where the MC was more variable I'd feel the need for a moisture meter. BORG lumber is downright wet sometimes but I let that stuff sit for months before building anything. But as Brian said, a $500 meter to check BORG pine seems "counter intuitive."

I'm buying mostly kiln dried wood, often at the source and then it sits for at least a week or three in my shop to acclimate before I start breaking it down. Then, rough sized, it hangs out in the shop for a while. As a result, I don't really need to check the MC.

Moisture meters are a recent invention. What did we do before it's invention?
    -- Dan Rode

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Moisture meters are a recent invention. What did we do before it's invention?
    This is always a good reality check. :thumbsup:

--

I worked for a few hours to clear out enough floor space in the garage. I placed a plastic sheet down, then cut up some 2x6 to elevate the stack. Then I stacked the barnwood together in 3 columns, and then stickered the BORG 2x6s. I'll try to get a picture this week to show the results.

Anyone have advice on any cleaning I should give this wood before bringing a plane blade to it? Is that a thing?

I have a stiff bristle brush I use on any new wood to sweep away any dirt or contamination. Also, if the wood is questionable I will use a 'roughing in' #4 plane to do a quick cleanup pass before I put my 'good' planes to use.