Thread: starting a guild in Eastern NC

starting a guild in Eastern NC

I want to start a guild in Eastern NC, hosted at my shop in Winterville. I have many things planned already, and everything we need to get started. Here's a 'starter' list of member benefits (much more to come):

• meet 1st Monday every month
    • discount shop memberships
    • discount lumber and supplies
    • discount tools (i.e, Pony clamps, Easy Wood Tools, and stuff from one of the really big machine companies...TBA)
    • access to a comprehensive woodworking library (with substantial growth in the works...TBA)
    • Member-Only workshops
    • Member-Only gallery privileges with reduced commission
    • Community Outreach Initiatives

I want to hear from everyone that is interested, and I'm thinking about holding a meet and greet to hear ideas in early November - Let's talk!
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Kent View Post
    I want to start a guild in Eastern NC, hosted at my shop in Winterville. I have many things planned already, and everything we need to get started. Here's a 'starter' list of member benefits (much more to come):

• meet 1st Monday every month
    • discount shop memberships
    • discount lumber and supplies
    • discount tools (i.e, Pony clamps, Easy Wood Tools, and stuff from one of the really big machine companies...TBA)
    • access to a comprehensive woodworking library (with substantial growth in the works...TBA)
    • Member-Only workshops
    • Member-Only gallery privileges with reduced commission
    • Community Outreach Initiatives

I want to hear from everyone that is interested, and I'm thinking about holding a meet and greet to hear ideas in early November - Let's talk!
    I wish you were SLIGHTLY closer to me because I would certainly be interested. I am in Morehead City, NC.

Can we set up video conferencing to attend the meetings?

I would be interested, especially since you are so close to home. I have passed by your location numerous times over the years, so hopefully you can get some folks interested. Have you posted this on the NC woodworkers forums yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I would be interested, especially since you are so close to home. I have passed by your location numerous times over the years, so hopefully you can get some folks interested. Have you posted this on the NC woodworkers forums yet?
    Hi Mike, I posted it on NCWW today. I'll post date and time as soon as I can nail something down. thanks
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

Monday it is, 6pm.

Look for the hand painted Kent Copeland Furnituremakers sign on the front of the building. Round up your woodworking friends and let's make something happen in Eastern NC! I'll grill hot dogs, and have chips, sodas, and a water cooler. Please feel free to bring something to contribute for dinner, maybe we'll feed everyone that comes. On that note I would like to get an updated list so I can plan food accordingly, please confirm if you are coming.

223 Forlines Rd.
    Winterville, NC
    ***We have plenty of parking, if the front lot fills, park diagonally down the side of the building.

Remember this is a 'meet and greet' intended to get people together and introduce the items listed below - not hold congress to hammer them out. We will establish some timelines and goals, and work through items together as a group in the fullness of time. I will introduce the issues we need to discuss in a presentation after we eat. We will close the evening with a 'think tank' session to hear questions/concerns/ideas. I will moderate the discussion so we can move through things efficiently and be courteous to our travelling guests. Please read through the items below and take a few minutes to write down your questions or ideas to bring up at the meeting. I look forward to meeting many of you for the first time, and I am excited that we are going to establish the first major woodworking guild in the history of Eastern NC. I'ts about time.

Agenda:

Guild Name

Signage

Guild Goals

Memberships & Benefits

Volunteering

Shop Rules & SafetyFloor Plan

Tool Use

Classes, Demos, & Workshops

Guild Projects

Store & Gallery
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

Best of luck to you!! Do you plan to take notes and post them up on a blog or site for the guild at all?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Good luck Stuart! I wish you had started this back when I was living in Hookerton... I would have been there!

Mike
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1

How did the meeting go?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.