Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Laser Repair!

Affordable Laser Repair!

I just wanted to update from a thread I started a few weeks ago regarding the 72% price increase for ULS laser tubes jumping from $1250 to $2150 for a refurbished tube. I went ahead and tried www.evergreenlaser.com
    I spoke to the owner Phil who seemed like a nice enough guy who believes in offering a reasonably priced service, he says "I'm surprised universal has gone up so much. I work my pricing structure as time, material and labor. For 34 years I have always tried to be fair and take the black magic out of lasers. It also explains why I am receiving a large influx of ULS 50/60 and ULR 60's".
    He quoted me $750 for a tube recharge, for almost 1/3 the cost of ULS I decided that was very reasonable so I sent the tube in, it took about 2 weeks for him to complete the work and send it back, the only down side I can see is that not everyone has a dual tube machine like I do so a two week turn around may be to long of a wait, but for those who have the time and would rather save the money I think this seems like a great service! I hope this info can be a help to someone!
    OG thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...es-just-jumped!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Thanks for the update Paul. That's exactly what we said would happen, didn't we? Now ULS has lost a customer. Nice policy there, huh? Amazing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It is amazing. Bean counter mentality just doesn't work sometimes: Not only did they shoot themselves in the foot, they now have less money for bullets for the next time...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So is the new - recharged tube from Evergreen working ok? If so I am putting them on my list.
    Last edited by Bill George; 10-13-2015 at 5:03 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    It is amazing. Bean counter mentality just doesn't work sometimes: Not only did they shoot themselves in the foot, they now have less money for bullets for the next time...
    I know right? If it was an incremental increase instead of a 72% jump I probably wouldn't have been shocked into looking elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    So is the new - recharged tube from Evergreen working ok? If so I am putting them on my list.
    It is on it's way, i will confirm when I get in and running.

FWIW, I asked them if they stock refurbished tubes, their reply- "We refurbish all kinds of tubes, Coherent, Epilog, Universal and Synrads and our stock varies constantly so the best way to approach this is to contact us directly and see what we have available."
    Might be worth a try for some of those looking for a good price on a refurbished western made tube!

I'll be interested in seeing your results. I admit to being skeptical as I've been in the business nearly 20 years and this is the first time I've heard of "the industry leader in laser repair".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hello,
    I've gone with an outright purchase of Coherent C70 from Evergreen. Should be here next week. Cost was just over half what Aflex (Epilog Dist in AU) wanted for replacement. Once installed I plan to send out my old tube to Evergreen for regas/repair. I'll have two tubes and still be money ahead. Phil was great to deal with answered all my questions and was very patient with me. Will post how we go.

So just wanted to update anyone interested to let you know that I received the repaired 60 watt tube back from www.evergreenlaser.com , got it plugged in and seems to be working fine, it had a list of test fires on it topping out at 73 watts at 100%. Total cost was $750! (I paid for ground shipping both ways) A very reasonable price IMO. I will keep this thread updated if there are any changes, but so far I would say I highly recommend Evergreen laser.

Great news Paul, I look forward to my parcel.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

You may want to reconsider having your tube recharged right away. The way I understand it (explained by Epilog dealer) is that tubes don't store well. You would be better off using your new tube until it begins to degrade, than send the old tube in for repair/recharge. That way when you tube goes, you'll have a fresh one ready. Won't help if your tube dies suddenly but they usually don't.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Hi Darren, thanks for keeping us updated, great to know that they sell tubes as well, what a great find! I hope it all works out for you. If you haven't already sent the old tube you may want to take Jeff's advice and wait a bit before you have it repaired, if not, you can always switch them out periodically so one doesn't sit for too long.

Hi Paul and Jeff,

Thanks for the tip. Speaking to Phil from Evergreen, he suggested the same, wait about a year get my current tube serviced then swap them out periodically. My tube is currently held in customs should have it Monday.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Epilog 36EXT
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Just quick update, I received my laser from Evergreen Last week, very pleased. Installed and up and running in half a day. The performance is incredible truly night and day. Beautiful engraving at 100% speed.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Epilog 36EXT
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

Hi all - in the same boat here. Need a new/recharged tube for an older ULS m-360 60 watt. ULS is $2200 with a 2 week backorder and Evergreen is $850 with 1-2 week turnaround. I wanted to check and confirm that you who have gone with Evergreen are still satisfied with the experience? If others have found new alternatives, I'd love to hear those too. Of course this happens in the middle of our biggest job of the year...! Thanks!!
    -matt.

ULS M360
    Adobe Illustrator
    Windows10