Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best of the 3 companies for rastering detail

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Kev: Please make that video. I keep imagining a bunch of machines, stacked on top of each other to the ceiling, with lots of rivets, Frankenstein bolts, duct tape, and steam chugging along as they are powered by a coal-fired dynamo with a collection of Commodore 64s and various typewriters.

Seriously, I appreciate your wealth of real-world experience and willingness to share it. It's also entertaining. Don't ever stop doing what you do.
    I worked with a guy in my first real job in a machine shop that went on to start his own shop. We were good friends while working together and stayed in touch over the years. He hated the idea of working for anyone and felt that the vast majority of shop owners in town were complete idiots. He started his own shop and I stopped by to see him one day.

He had a 2,500 sq. ft. shop full of manual machines. 4 of them were running when I was talking to him. He had devised all sorts of switches and solenoids that would automatically advance various screws to dial in deeper cuts, and start itself over, then hit a limit switch when it was done and turn itself off. We're talking old, vintage machines, no cnc controls at all. That guy worked his butt off hustling around that shop and cranked out more work than people with 3 times the employees he had. It was really fascinating to watch.

I lost touch with him a few years ago and noticed his shop up for sale on Craigslist a few months ago. I was sad to see it go.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I worked with a guy in my first real job in a machine shop that went on to start his own shop. We were good friends while working together and stayed in touch over the years. He hated the idea of working for anyone and felt that the vast majority of shop owners in town were complete idiots. He started his own shop and I stopped by to see him one day.

He had a 2,500 sq. ft. shop full of manual machines. 4 of them were running when I was talking to him. He had devised all sorts of switches and solenoids that would automatically advance various screws to dial in deeper cuts, and start itself over, then hit a limit switch when it was done and turn itself off. We're talking old, vintage machines, no cnc controls at all. That guy worked his butt off hustling around that shop and cranked out more work than people with 3 times the employees he had. It was really fascinating to watch.

I lost touch with him a few years ago and noticed his shop up for sale on Craigslist a few months ago. I was sad to see it go.

That's great. I like those guys. He might have been right about those other shop owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Kev: Please make that video. I keep imagining a bunch of machines, stacked on top of each other to the ceiling, with lots of rivets, Frankenstein bolts, duct tape, and steam chugging along as they are powered by a coal-fired dynamo with a collection of Commodore 64s and various typewriters.

Seriously, I appreciate your wealth of real-world experience and willingness to share it. It's also entertaining. Don't ever stop doing what you do.
    Haha this is funny Matt. Exactly what I'm picturing. I have no idea how he fits all that equipment in his house?!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)