Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engraving a powder coated stainless steel panel

Apple barrel brand paint in white or black is what I would use. It is an acrylic paint that walmart sells in their craft department. In my experience black and white are the only two colors that hold up over time.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

If you want a rub in color, you might try Gilders Paste. It supposed to be pretty well permanent, but I've never used it on something like that. Definately need to mask your panel if you are going to try coloring it.
    ----------------------------------------
    Too many projects
    and a bunch of 'I wonder if [insert the moments random idea here] will work?'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul hardy View Post
    If you want a rub in color, you might try Gilders Paste. It supposed to be pretty well permanent, but I've never used it on something like that. Definately need to mask your panel if you are going to try coloring it.
    Not permanent, by a long shot, and definitely not in an industrial setting... alcohol-like solvents will wash it away in a heartbeat.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Painting over powdercoating is just inviting trouble, because the PC absorbs the paint, which effectively stains it. If you can get it off, you'll likely shine up (or dull up) the PC which is almost as bad as the stain. And based on the picture you posted, that mottled coating will trap paint like little ketchup cups...

I was going to suggest masking the panel with transfer tape, laser thru to the metal, then spray paint the engraving- But again, not with that mottled coating! The paint would bleed badly...

This may not apply here, but one of my customers had a novel idea: Their customer wanted aluminum boxes powdercoated,engraved, then painted white. My customer had trouble painting the powdercoating (wouldn't come off) so what they did was black anodized the boxes first. (they do it in-house so not much extra expense) -- the result, the laser removes the powdercoating and turns the anodizing white...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

OK, I am guessing that painting is not the best way to go so I will do some more plain engraving tests and then advise the customer so he can make the decision. If he wants to try some different methods after I have handed over the engraved only sheets thats up to him.

Thanks again for the advice and help.
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Woah .. just realized that I've been reading without logging in. Oops.

If anyone is so inclined, powder coat powders will melt if mixed with MEK in an old
    blender. (glass recommended) and sprayed with an airbrush or Preval. Then bake away
    in a toaster oven (provided you can control the temp well enough)

Since you don't have to worry about holding the electrostatic charge and the MEK will
    evaporate leaving a semi-hardened surface, this leaves all sorts of options open for
    cutting masks with the laser and doing multiple colors. But be SURE you let all of the
    solvent evaporate, or it will just boil and ruin your finish.

After engraving down to the base metal, I'd use a lacquer meant for metal. (brass lacquer for
    brass, for example)

.. just a thought..
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.