Thread: Modifying the tool post for a Grizzly G0766

Modifying the tool post for a Grizzly G0766

As you may know, the tool post on the G0766 lathe sits a little too high for some operations. In its lowest position, it is perhaps 3/8 to 1/2 inch below center. I found that with my favorite 3/4 inch bowl gouge that it was hard to cut off the nib in the center of a bowl without raising the tool handle to an awkward height.

I've read and heard that Grizzly is in the process of fixing this, but I have not yet received either the replacement part or word of when it is coming. I was growing tired of having to work around this problem, So I decided to turn off the shoulder of the tool post. I tried a number of different approaches and the one that worked best with what I have on hand was to turn off the shoulder using my new Grizzly lathe.

For the cutter, I used a 1/4 inch cemented carbide metal lathe bit stuck in the end of a 2 foot long 1/2 x 1/2 square bar and a vice grip for stability. Oh, and I also used an old tool post for my Craftsman 9 inch lathe along with an adapter to fit the Grizzly. I used a collar with a set screw to control the depth of cut (very important) and probably only took off 0.020 DOC per pass. When I was ready to make the next cut, I loosened the banjo and tapped it slightly with a rubber hammer. I had to shim one of the jaws of my new Grizzly chuck to eliminate runout. It was slow (probably took me an hour and a half) but I got pretty good results. I am attaching some pictures (one is a work-in-process and the otherone is the finished shaft) for those who may be interested.IMG_0026 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0023 (1024x768).jpg

Very resourceful, Brice! What rpm did you turn at?

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Very resourceful, Brice! What rpm did you turn at?
    I turned between 300 and 400 rpm. The tool post head is offset (leaning forward) so it is not balanced on the spindle axis. When I ran at higher rpms, the lathe started to shake.

The cemented carbide cutter (zero rake) did a good job bit required a bit of force. I think that a conventional grind HSS cutter with some positive rake may have required less force. It was a two handed operation and I tucked the 2 foot long cutter bar under my arm pit.

4. Just FYI......the last report one of our turners speaking with Grizzly, they said the new banjo is en route, and they hope to ship them to the G0766 owners by the end of October. Pretty rsourceful on the modification to the post......pretty much what I did when I had the machine shop turn mine down.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Brice, I see that you have a metal turning lathe in the background, why then, would you use a woodturning lathe to do this turning on? Would it not fit the metal turning lathe?
    Len

I'm glad you are safe but wouldn't recommend others follow your lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Brice, I see that you have a metal turning lathe in the background, why then, would you use a woodturning lathe to do this turning on? Would it not fit the metal turning lathe?
    Len
    I would guess that his metal lathe did not have 14" of swing (that is how long the toolrest is).
    Sparky Paessler

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Len
    The Atlas metal lathe has a 12 inch swing over the saddle (or banjo as wood turners call it). It would only work if I shortened the tool rest from 14 to 12 inches. I also considered trying to mill it, but I didn't think that I had the necessary clearances and work holding has some complexities.