Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just logical explanation for increasing taxes

Just logical explanation for increasing taxes

In our county we paid taxes for cars we own - as probably anybody else. This year taxes increase and explanation from county employee - you drive LESS miles than expected. I completely lost - if I am driving less, why should I pay more taxes?
    If anybody known and will be able to explain for me this logic?

Thank you, Ed.

My wife is a transportation researcher and she does a lot in this area. Transportation infrastructure is primarily paid with gas tax and cars are becoming more fuel efficient. So less tax is collected. The gas tax in most states is a flat rate per gallon and not indexed. Most governments are reluctant to increase the gas tax so they add and increase "fees."

My question is:
    Why don't they use this increase to keep our roads better kept?
    Roads in SC are really bad.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    My wife is a transportation researcher and she does a lot in this area. Transportation infrastructure is primarily paid with gas tax and cars are becoming more fuel efficient. So less tax is collected. The gas tax in most states is a flat rate per gallon and not indexed. Most governments are reluctant to increase the gas tax so they add and increase "fees."
    I see now a reason for this "fees" ! I thought that if I am driving less - road stay in better condition, but I never think about using less gas. John, thank you for explanation.

Ed.

The bottom fell out of property values where one of our rental houses is located.
    We got a letter from the city that said since the property values dropped and they were collecting less tax than they thought they would get, they were pretty much doubling all the taxes.
    We paid $89.9K for the place and the value dropped to like $54K - our taxes OTOH stayed about the same.
    We tried to fight it but, they as much as said too bad now go away, you don't live here so you can't vote here so we don't care what you think or say.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    We tried to fight it but, they as much as said too bad now go away, you don't live here so you can't vote here so we don't care what you think or say.
    Well, at least they were being honest with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    I see now a reason for this "fees" ! I thought that if I am driving less - road stay in better condition, but I never think about using less gas. John, thank you for explanation.
    Ed.
    How much you drive in your car or pick-up makes almost no difference to the shape of the road. Almost all damage to roads comes from heavy truck usage. The engineers from our local engineering firm explained to me the heavy loads cause tiny fractures that allow more moisture in when it rains, then temperature does the rest. Said they don't even consider the amount of private vehicle traffic when designing roads.... At least here in Iowa...
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    ....... they don't even consider the amount of private vehicle traffic when designing roads.....
    Non-sequitur. You are talking only about the max load factor in road design. If there is a road where no traffic over 4 wheels is allowed, are you saying we don't need the road at all? Of course not. Are you saying the total cost would be significantly lower? I can't see that - the cost of land acquisition, design and engineering, off-ramps, bridges - big $$$, and the heavy load factor adds $$$, but not like 90% or anything.

The issue is not designing roads, it is paying for roads, and they sure as heck consider private traffic for that.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

All the tax cuts have left governments broke at every level. Since people hate tax increases, governments have to get creative.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    All the tax cuts have left governments broke at every level. Since people hate tax increases, governments have to get creative.

Highway fund is supplied via a tax on gasoline. Imagine a hypothetical situation where all vehicles are electric. How are the roads funded? Or - when electric is 50% of the volume. Those guys get a free pass on paying for the roads they use? I don't have a real problem with greenies in general, but I ain't willing to go quite that far.

Prediction: With all the technology included today on modern vehicles, I have little doubt that the capability exists, or could easily exist with a minor software upgrade, to track miles driven by state. You get a semi-annual usage fee bill from each state.

Pay up, or car is booted next time it crosses the state line.

The roads have to be maintained - heck - they will probably be upgraded to support driverless vehicles, requiring Google Fiber or some doggone thing. Public roads means public financing.

Meet George Jetson - his boy Elroy...........
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 10-10-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Spend a week driving in Michigan (Detroit and suburbs), and you'll love your roads when you get back home.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    My question is:
    Why don't they use this increase to keep our roads better kept?
    As a former resident of VA, now NC, I can tell you that Virginia has some of the finest roads in the nation. I've traveled all over the US and I would have to put Virginia near the top for quality of highways. SC I'd put just slightly below NC and NC I'd put somewhere in the latter 1/3 of the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    +11111111111

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Spend a week driving in Michigan (Detroit and suburbs), and you'll love your roads when you get back home.

Yep - was just there.

GA is tearing up roads for replacement, and Michigan would love to have the roads that are being reground.

I must say, this is a sensible and informative conversation. There's much to think about here .. especially about how to raise the money needed to rebuild and maintain our infrastructure. If we don't have good roads and safe bridges the business economy suffers. If we don't have dependable water management and sewage disposal our quality of life suffers.