Thread: Best surface off the tool?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Did you try cutting in reverse? Hard to tell without a pic. I'm guessing it's more a problem of raised grain/fuzz instead of tool marks? Is the wood still semi-wet?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McInturff View Post
    Did you try cutting in reverse? Hard to tell without a pic. I'm guessing it's more a problem of raised grain/fuzz instead of tool marks? Is the wood still semi-wet?
    I roughed this bowl out about 3 months ago, sealed it with anchorseal, bagged it and weighed it every week until I got 3 consecutive readings that were the same. Took it out, and proceeded to finish turn. I did not cut in reverse, but did try sanding in reverse a couple of times.......I was not satisfied, so put another coat of sanding sealer [dewaxed shellac] on it, let dry overnight, and did another series of shear scrapes with a fresh edge off a 180 grit CBN wheel.

It is not bad, but not gallery quality, and I need it to be for the gallery I am at. This one is just difficult I guess.....not for a lack to trying on my part, and I certainly do not know everything about finishing, but as the pic in my other post shows, I am not a novice either!

I am going to try the wet sand route on it, and if not satisfied, then I just won't take it to the gallery.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That's a gorgeous bowl Roger! I would be elated to turn out something so "ragged"!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    That's a gorgeous bowl Roger! I would be elated to turn out something so "ragged"!
    Why thanks Doug! That was a previous bowl from a different tree. Just an example that illustrates that my present difficulty is not the norm, so I was seeking advice on perhaps a different tool to try or technique.

Roger I like to use a heavy 1.5" scraper with a bevel on the top side. I use a burnishing tool to put a edge like a card scraper, if that don't do it power sand with 100 or 120 grit. I do a lot of walnut and it does get kind of fuzzy sometimes. Good luck with it.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Roger I like to use a heavy 1.5" scraper with a bevel on the top side. I use a burnishing tool to put a edge like a card scraper, if that don't do it power sand with 100 or 120 grit. I do a lot of walnut and it does get kind of fuzzy sometimes. Good luck with it.
    Sort of like a negative rake grind? Sounds like something to try. Thanks Fred!