Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Shooting Plane Tolerance

Rather than start a new thread, I wanted to just chime in and mention that I just took delivery of a veritas shooting plane. This one appears to also be out of 90 degrees and, like Stew, believe it to be just barely out as well. I admit, I dont have as many ways to check its variance but it is definitely not 90. I have called Lee Valley and the gentleman I spoke to wanted to forward the case to, I assume, someone more familiar with the tool. I think he might have been a bit hesitant to just send a replacement, but hopefully I can get someone to hand pick a plane like what happened for you Stew.

Less than 6 hours after calling, I have a new plane being shipped. Just shows how awesome Lee Valley is and why I have invested as much as I have in their tools. I must say, aside from this issue the plane is an absolute stunner. I was able to hand LN's shooter a couple weeks ago and it felt great as well but this thing is awesome.

I wouldn't use Dollar Shave Club blades as any sort of reference other than "not sharp". Probably the worst razor I ever shaved with. I belonged to the club for a year and never even used my last month of blades. Now I have a beard and don't care.

I bought mine when it was first released. It was dead on square. LV makes good on the tools it produces. Kudos on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Less than 6 hours after calling, I have a new plane being shipped. Just shows how awesome Lee Valley is and why I have invested as much as I have in their tools. I must say, aside from this issue the plane is an absolute stunner. I was able to hand LN's shooter a couple weeks ago and it felt great as well but this thing is awesome.
    It sounds like they took good care of both of us Mike. I've been using mine quite a bit since I got it. In fact, quite a bit more than I had anticipated. I am extremely pleased!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I wouldn't use Dollar Shave Club blades as any sort of reference other than "not sharp". Probably the worst razor I ever shaved with. I belonged to the club for a year and never even used my last month of blades. Now I have a beard and don't care.
    On the contrary Mike, for me they do a much better job than my old Mach III Turbo. Now, I did start out with their 6-blade razor
    but I think it was just too darn wide to follow all hills & valleys tight enough. I switched to their 4-blade model and have never looked back.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Stew, are you still using the veritas track too? I was more leaning towards building my own

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Well Adam you must be psychic. I spoke with their person on Tuesday and was told unequivocally that anything not 90 degrees was not acceptable. They said that they would check by hand to be sure to send me one that was dead on. Oh, and there would be a mailing label with it for me to return the original one.
    Well it arrived today. I pulled out that Bridge City TS-2V2 and it looked perfect. For kicks, I set my bevel on it and checked it against my Woodpeckers Angle Reference Plate and it looks as close to 90 degrees as I am able to measure. So I popped the PM-V11 blade that I had honed to razor sharpness while I was waiting for the plane. And yes, for your information, I do mean razor sharp. I always test blades, chisels, whatever by shaving the hairs on my arm. if it doesn't do as good a job as my 4-blade from the Dollar Shave Club, then it's not sharp enough. I adjusted the 3 set screws to align the blade perfectly, I set the mouth to about as fine an opening as any plane I own, locked everything down and was ready to give it a try. Now, I also bought the 16" track (Rob Lee, if you read this I think 16" is about the bare minimum for a shooting board. On the other hand 24" like the larger track is too long in my book. If it was up to me, I'd offer a 20". I think it'd be just perfect) but I have not yet built a new shooting board for it yet so I pulled out my old one to give the plane a test drive.
    I love it... nuf said.
    Here are pictures of the new arrival:

Attachment 323535Attachment 323534Attachment 323536
    Very nice, I'm glad you're happy with it and they treated you right.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Very nice, I'm glad you're happy with it and they treated you right.
    Adam, how's your LN one that you bought about two years ago?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Adam, how's your LN one that you bought about two years ago?
    I'm interested to hear some feedback on the LN one as well. I'll be honest, a big seller for me is the low angle and the fact that it uses the same blade as their other low angle planes. I love that versatility.

I'm interested to hear some feedback on the LN one as well. I'll be honest, a big seller for me is the low angle and the fact that it uses the same blade as their other low angle planes.
    The Veritas has those features, not the LN.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    The Veritas has those features, not the LN.
    i realize that. I'm interested in hearing about Adams experience with his LN. I might not have been clear.

It is good that you sent the plane back. Had you worked on it yourself you would likely have voided the warranty. And,you might not have gotten the plane perfect either. Could have made it worse.

The first plane I ever bought from LV was a block plane(not the NX60!). When I tightened the sliding throat plate,it would bend and become concave. Of course,this affected the depth of cut that the iron would make,and generally threw everything off,such as sole flatness. I thought about slipping a washer inside of the adjustment mechanism and filing it to just the right thickness that it'd keep the throat plate from being bent concave. I called LV to advise them of a potential problem with this plane model. They insisted in my sending it back. I did. Turned out that my plane had been ground .010" too thin. That's the thickness of 2 sheets of typing paper. But,it was enough lost thickness to allow the cast iron to suck hollow when the screw was tightened. I was surprised that .010" was enough to weaken the throat plate,especially in cast iron,but it was.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-08-2015 at 10:23 AM.

That's pretty tight tolerances! I'll be honest, I remembered reading this thread a while back and when I took delivery I checked it for 90 and immediately came back and read this thread all
    over. Big thanks to the people here that share their knowledge and time!

Stew, are you still using the veritas track too? I was more leaning towards building my own
    Well, I have the track Mike but I haven't had time yet to actually build the new board. I’m still using my old one for now, but I very much am enjoying the plane. I’ve got too many things to get done before Christmas. Come January I have several shop projects to start on.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Well, I have the track Mike but I haven't had time yet to actually build the new board. I’m still using my old one for now, but I very much am enjoying the plane. I’ve got too many things to get done before Christmas. Come January I have several shop projects to start on.
    i hear ya, I got several items for the shop that I've been putting off as well.