Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single Phase vs. Three Phase for new tools

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I believe amp draw for 10Hp at 240V/1phase is typically 40 amps. That's #8 AWG wire.

15Hp at 240V/1phase is typically 60 amps. That's #6 AWG wire.

...And both assume you're not running it to the back-40 (I think sizes are for 50ft or less??). If you need it, I hope you own a copper mine!
    Whether the motor is running at single phase or 3 phase, it will require the same power to produce the same HP. So assuming the same input voltage, the total current will be the same for either single phase or 3 phase. But with the 3 phase, the current will be divided over three wires, instead of two as in single phase. So you could use smaller wire for the 3 phase, but you have to run an additional wire.

I would guess that the total amount of copper is about the same for either.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    once you go three phase you will never go back. Opens up more choices, better machines especially on the used market, larger motors, fewer problems. VFD's are great for a few machines, but if you have a shop full, and RPC or better yet, a Phase Perfect, is the way to go. Dave
    +2. RPCs are easy to wire. Once you have 3 phase the whole world of cheaper industrial machinery opens up. I have a ton of 3 phase machinery now. It goes cheap at auction because most people can't power it.
    Ross