Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long to live without a router?

I find it impossible to get through a days work without several. IMO, the router is, for most, the tool that creates the most options for a woodworker. A router can take you from buiiding 1x12 cubes to building furniture. My quiver has grown since this picture was taken, but if the shop was on fire. I'd grab a combo kit on the way out the door and be ready to work the next day. The dado set could burn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Johnson View Post
    Ok, Jim, I'll bite. What do you do with 4 routers? I can see one mounted in a table, and another when I want the work fixed and the machine moving. Perhaps if the second one doesn't have a plunge base then that's a third purchase. But I'm really stretching to understand 4 and interested in a couple more. Open my eyes, please?

I've got probably close to twenty. Why? Because changing bits when you want/need a different profile takes time. My time is more valuable than the cost of another router.

I have two routers, my beefy DeWalt Plunge pretty much stays as a router table router and my smaller Porter Cable gets used on my dovetail jig and everything else. I also have dados so I think it depends on the project. I'm just a hobby woodworker but I think if you're going to pursue the craft you should start experimenting with a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Johnson View Post
    Ok, Jim, I'll bite. What do you do with 4 routers? I can see one mounted in a table, and another when I want the work fixed and the machine moving. Perhaps if the second one doesn't have a plunge base then that's a third purchase. But I'm really stretching to understand 4 and interested in a couple more. Open my eyes, please?
    One big one in the table, one little one for detail work, one usually stays setup with a roundover bit, and then my Festool one which I use for everything else.

I'd like another couple mostly because as others have said, changing bits takes time. Being able to leave a router setup and always ready to go is great. Lots of jobs take more than one router bit and its nice to have both routers setup in case you need to go back and do another piece.

In my opinion, the router is best tool for profiling an edge. It is lesser importance for general purpose cabinet / furniture work but it is indispensable for some things such as template routing to make identical pieces with curved features. For you box joint problem I would go with what you got (tablesaw) and spend some time to make a jig. If you absolutely need square bottoms in cutouts then invest in a nice blade for your table saw that will cut a square bottom

A router would be my 2nd purchase behind a TS. YMMV.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Worth a look in the 2nd hand market, I have bought two at give away price.

That seems a painless way to find out for yourself.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.