Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Wall-hung Bookcase

Looking good!!

Looking good Jim!

Corey

4 September Update

Well, the bookcase is "finished" and ready to hang. Robert (Tarr) is coming down tomorrow to lend a hand with that...'can't "one-hand" this one!

I'm happy with the functionality of this project, but not happy with the finish...I had a problem with finding the "right" gun setting when spraying the primer and there are some areas that just are not as smooth as I would prefer. But thems the breaks. The color coats are simply flat latex paint in a color that matches an accent in the duvet covers. I used flat rather than satin or semi-gloss to keep the finish "thinner" and avoid any "stickiness" by being able to top coat it with a clear acrylic finish. The color was brushed (two coats) and then topped with about four sprayed coats of clear. It looks great...but again, there are some areas that are not what I wanted and I didn't have the gumption to sand things down. Painted projects are not my favorites and it was time to move on. I'll post some final pictures once it's hung...for now, here are four from the finishing process.

1. Primer on
    2. Color coats on
    3. Clear coats on (outdoor)
    4. Clear coats on (indoor)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks good from here, Jim!! Will these areas be noticed once the kidos start piling on the toys and books? I'm guessing they won't be, and therefore will be a non issue in the end. I'll be anticipating the pictures after installation. Don't strain anything in the process! Jim

Looks good Jim! Finish looks good from here anyway. Painted projects are not my favorite either.

Corey
    P.S. Jim it looks like you dissassembled one of your tools on the bench in front of the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    P.S. Jim it looks like you dissassembled one of your tools on the bench in front of the shelf
    Yea, funny thing about spray guns...they work much better if you clean them thoroughly after use...

The "short" shelves are an interesting concept. I'll be interested to see how practical they are or if stuff appears in front of them.

By the way, who is the shop assistant taking pictures of you working?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin
    The "short" shelves are an interesting concept. I'll be interested to see how practical they are or if stuff appears in front of them.
    Yes, this will be interesting over time. The "short shelves" are perfect for paperbacks or small toys.

By the way, who is the shop assistant taking pictures of you working?
    Timer in the camera(s)...
    --

Ahhh I got yah, never thought about a spray gun. Thought maybe you pulled apart another tool and was thinking about how it goes back together :-)

Corey

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yea, funny thing about spray guns...they work much better if you clean them thoroughly after use...
    Yes. Reminds me of the time sometime ago I was spraying satin lacquer, and these little pin head size dots of white stuff was all over a cabinet side after I sprayed it.
    Got to thinking back, and remembered I had just did a set of cabinets sprayed with white lacquer.
    I had failed to dissasemble and clean the gun throughly.

Time to wrap up!

Well, it's time to wrap up this project...the wall-hung bookcase is...wall-hung. (Thanks to the generous help of fellow Creeker and coworker, Robert Tarr) Ok, so I wasn't over pleased with the finish. No problem. It looks great in the space and does what I needed it to do. I'm sure the girls will like it and we're sending a picture in our letters this week so they know we've been working on their room.

Pics:

1) The hanging...blurry photo, but you get the picture, as it were. Robert is the swav-ay and de-boner billboard on the right...but I apparently maintain enough hair for both of us...
    2) The wall-hung bookcase...wall-hung
    3) The wall hung bookcase...holding books and other important things
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

Looks great Jim, I love that custom door also.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    I love that custom door also.
    I can't take credit for the doors, Richard...they were already in place when we bought the property. Interesting little trivia...that wall is only 1" thick. 3/4" T&G pine boards with 1/4" paneling on the bedroom side of the wall. The doors are the same construction. The back stairs is just behind it. The other room in this second of the house is the same...minus the paneling. The whole upstairs of this 250 year old section of our home was undoubtedly a single room at some point in history.
    --

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    Looks great... I think YOUR girls will really like it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Looks really good, Jim!! I do hope you never have to re-paper the ceiling, though. Jim.