Thread: Auto turn-on exhaust for Trotec Speedy 300?

Auto turn-on exhaust for Trotec Speedy 300?

Has anyone found a good way to automatically turn-on an exhaust blower for a Speedy 300? I saw this helpful post:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...23#post2314623
    But we are measuring 0.0 Volts on all 5 of those pins (relative to each other, and to ground). Maybe that 5-pin connector has some intelligence to sense it is connected to an Atmos, and turns-off if not?

We can't plug both the Speedy and the exhaust blower into the same power strip because the 80W Speedy pulls nearly 20A by itself.

We just need most any DC or AC voltage (and only <30mA) to trigger this relay: https://www.adafruit.com/products/268
    (We can do the voltage conversion down to 3-12 VDC).

We don't need the exhaust to go on only when the laser is on; it's fine and preferable if it goes on and stays on with the machine.

One idea is to tap off the halogen lights, but we don't want to modify the new machine (warranty). So my current best idea is a photocell or photoresistor in front of one of those lights -- an awkward solution but it could work.

Any tips appreciated.

All three of my lasers have a separate power strip within arms reach of the "start" button that it's blower is plugged into...

Because the 2 blowers in the basement are outside, I can barely hear them. To remind me they're on, my ULS also
    has a clamp-lamp above it, so when the light's on, I know the blower's on. On the power strip for the LS900,
    I have a night-light plugged in, and the bulb is a blinking green C5 xmas tree bulb. The blinking is hard to miss...

The blower for the Triumph in the garage shop is IN the garage, no problem knowing IT'S on!

I've thought about the relay thing, but if the blower shuts down the same time the laser does, chances are all
    the smoke won't be sucked out.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the reply. Yes, putting the switches in clear view with reminders is smart. If it were just me, I wouldn't bother making it automatic -- we'll have ~100 students per year running it and eventually someone would forget.

Has anyone detected a voltage on the Trotec's 5-pin XLR connector?

Give Trotec tech support a call. I'm sure Brett knows the answer.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks, I will try that. I can't say I'm too hopeful, though -- our rep says he asked Trotec for specs on those pins repeatedly for 12 years, and never got an answer.

Following up here, did anyone ever find out the answer to this?

I have a Speedy 300 with Quatro fume extractor that is factory wired to turn on automatically when laser is in operation.
    Since Atmos is Trotec extractor it should do same.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

I am really looking to find out if there is a pin out guide to where I can have a fan turn on with the control of the software. I have a duct exhaust where I am at vs a filtration unit, it would just be nice if the exhaust fan could work like the filtration unit.

I think I might have that info will look it up tomorrow but I can tell you it does not output a voltage but has a pair of pins that short through a solid state relay. I think its pins 2&5 but need to confirm.
    I have it set with a 12v supply on one side and when closed it sends the volts to a separate signal relay that switches a high power relay to turn the extractor on and off as controlled by the Speedy.
    If memory serves the Speedy ssr output is rated at max 30v and 100mA which is why it can't switch a heavy relay directly.
    Back tomorrow with what I can find in the office.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Checked my notes, the output is a volt free contact across pins 1&2 of the socket. On the Speedy control board there is a V212S Photo MOS relay , pin 1 of the socket is connected through a fuse on the pcb to pin 6 of the IC and pin 1 of the socket is directly connected to pin 4 of the IC. When operated via the JC software this effectively presents a short circuit acros pins 1 & 2 of the socket. Bear in mind this is a low power relay so can only switch a small load and obviously is current limited by the fuse on the pcb.
    Trotec Speedy 300 50W
    Gantry CNC Router/Engraver
    Various softwares
    Always keen to try something new

Please don't steal - the government hates competition

Thanks for the knowledge! I think I found another solution for anyone with a ducted solution. The smart outlets that have the ability to track electricity use and use the smart life app I think will do the trick. I have a smart event programmed for when power exceeds the resting machine power that it automatically turns on the vent fan and when resting power or no power is restored it leaves the fan on for 5 minutes then shuts it off. This needs two separate outlets as each can only handle up to 15a. I got it setup but didn’t have time to test it. I’ll report back but it should work.

Blog Entries
    I've got a simple push button on off switch controlled relay that plugs into the outlet. Actually is an exterior Christmas remote outlet. $20 or under, (I got 4 for one cent each at HD about 5 years ago after Christmas).
    You can turn on the exhaust just before pushing the go on the laser and it will stay on till you press off. Especially good when you have been running leather. If you can't remember to turn on the exhaust, really?
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    If you can't remember to turn on the exhaust, really?
    lol...

Probably $100 a month of my light bill is because one or all of my 4 blowers almost always runs 16 hours a day-- I simply don't notice they're on!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    It ain't that bad Kev. Using my killawatt meter, My chinese blower uses about 4 cents an hour. Only about $75 a month.... (at 10 cents a kwh and running 30 straight days)
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others