Thread: Mistake... er... design opportunity

Mistake... er... design opportunity

For a little fun, I decided to turn something out of a piece of spalted oak someone had given me. I set it up between centers, merrily started turning away and decided I'd do a lidded box. I put a tenon on one end, and decided to do an inset foot on the bottom. After getting that made and cleaning up the edges, my mind finally woke up and I realized I was putting the foot on the end of the blank that had a deep screw hole in the middle (face palm...).

IMG_20151005_164430849.jpg

Can't have a big hole in the very bottom of the bowl!.. So I thought through options... pack the drill hole with sawdust and flood with CA? Or maybe just go the other way with it and make the "foot" the lid... But an inset foot on a lid? And then there's still the ugly drill hole... Then I had an idea. Why not add a finial?

My spindle skills are... still developing, shall we say, but I took my time and the little finial turned out pretty nicely. Then I had to fit it to the hole in the lid... lots of careful sanding, and it's still not perfectly leveled in the lid, but it's close.

I'm pretty happy with this one. There's still a drill hole in the underside of the lid, but no one's perfect...

IMG_20151005_195207093.jpgIMG_20151005_195221936.jpgIMG_20151005_195314357.jpg

Great recovery Aaron and nice little box!

Try putting a button over the hole that is left, matching the finial. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Try putting a button over the hole that is left, matching the finial. Allan
    I might do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Your most welcome. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Great save and a nice little lidded box.

Red
    RED

Aaron,
    Nice move. That's a beautiful little box and outside of you revealing your secret, I bet pretty much everyone would look at that and think you intended it that way! Sometimes those 'surprises' can lead to something that you wouldn't have imagined otherwise. Great job.

Just the other day I did a very similar thing... drilled a hole for a wormwood screw and as I was threading it, I realized I'd just drilled it into the wrong end... so the foot had to be re-designed for a deeper recess

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grantham View Post
    Aaron,
    Nice move. That's a beautiful little box and outside of you revealing your secret, I bet pretty much everyone would look at that and think you intended it that way! Sometimes those 'surprises' can lead to something that you wouldn't have imagined otherwise. Great job.

Just the other day I did a very similar thing... drilled a hole for a wormwood screw and as I was threading it, I realized I'd just drilled it into the wrong end... so the foot had to be re-designed for a deeper recess
    I'll trust you guys not to tell on me.