Thread: Fellow Handtool Woodworker in Greenville SC?

Fellow Handtool Woodworker in Greenville SC?

Hey all, I've been reading posts here for a while, and have a backlog of question threads I need to start. But first I thought I'd write a quick intro, and see if I've got any neighbors.

I gained interest in hand tool woodworking the past year or so, largely because I have 3 kids 4 years old and under. Watching Roy Underhill with my son, having my two oldest in the garage with me as I learn to plane, sharpen, and restore, and being creative in peace and quiet have all been terrific blessings. It's allowed me to slow down and enjoy the journey of woodworking rather than clamor for the end results.

There is an amazing woodworkers guild here in town that I have been a member of the past few years. Unfortunately I drive 2 hours a day for work and the guild is 25 minutes from my house so I hardly make it out there. As an inexperienced woodworker, I would like to gain a friend or mentor in hand tools who lived near me that I could learn from, and have access to basic tools I don't own. If anyone is in the vicinity of the east side of Greenville SC, or Greenville proper, I'd love to meet you and even learn some foundational skills.

Thanks for having a great community here at SMC.

- Matt

Blog Entries
    Matt,

Welcome to the Creek. I hope someone close to your location responds. I am a bit far away to be much help.

Here is an archive of Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

Good luck,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome Matt!

Welcome Matt, as someone who is in much the same situation as you, I can definitely relate. I recently linked up with a local woodworker and it was eye opening what you can learn from another more experienced individual. Keep searching for a local resource, you won't regret it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Frederick and Jim! Mike, that's great to hear what you're experience has been. There's so much more you can learn in person than just reading or watching YouTube. I really wish my Guild was within a 10 - 15 minute drive because they do have some terrific people and spirit.

Blog Entries
    Hi Matt,
    I lived in Greenville for a little over 4 years, went to Furman. Unfortunately I now live 2 hours away in Metro Atlanta. You might consider attending some of the classes offered by Highland Woodworking and some of the other woodworking clubs and organizations in Atl. Woodcraft does classes too. Highland just published their classes for about the next year, so it is a good time to check them out and get on their mailing list.

I am maybe 30 min. from Highland Woodworking & Woodcraft, north of the perimeter. Both of our "kids" are in college or moved out so there is extra room. If you would like to attend classes and need a place to stay and transportation back & forth we might work something out. I try to get to as many classes at Highland & Woodcraft as I can. Roy is doing a class at Highland on dovetails. Pete Galbert is doing his Continuous Arm Windsor chair class again.....Chris Schwarz did a class on making sawbenches....
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-05-2015 at 10:58 AM.