Thread: What price would you sell your sawstop and a few other tools for?

What price would you sell your sawstop and a few other tools for?

I have moved and in the final stages of getting my old house ready for sale, when done, I won't NEED my tools in the immediate future. I intend to tear down the garage at the new house and build a bigger one that will hold cars and tools... Never had both in the same building at the same time I am thinking of selling my biggest tools through this transition ( especially the ones on 220v) and then buying replacements when done. I am curious what others would sell their stuff for... thinking on craigslist.

1. Sawstop Industrial 5hp with 52", mobile base ( New price is $5492 = $4399 saw + $350 shipping + $299 mobile base + $40 shipping + $404 tax )

2. Woodmaster 18" planer moulder with all the gizmos ( New = $2999 ) I likely will replace this with a traditional planer with spiral.

3. Grizzly drum sander 24" ( New = $1794 )

4. 6" Delta jointer, standard short bed on this kind, on a mobile base. ( New similar grizzly is $629 ) Likely going to an 8" with spiral.

5. 14" delta bandsaw with 6" riser and a many of blades, some carbide. ( New grizzly would be about $650 not including blades ) Thinking of keeping this since its 110v and only takes up about 2 square feet.

I think you will be disappointed in the prices that you can get for your tools. One thing to remember is that some tools (Not SawStop) go on sale from time to time. Another thing to take into consideration is that the second owner has NO warranty. If the tools were perfect, I would not and in fact do not pay more than 60% of current cost new. And I don't pay sales tax. Some tools are more desirable than others. The SawStop is desirable, but the rest of the things less so. Because of the desirability of the SawStop, that might go higher.

This is just my humble opinion. Good luck. If it were me, I would put the things in storage and wait to see what the new situation brings. I know several people who were in your position and sold stuff that they had to replace later at a much high cost.

I buy and sell and lot of tools and these numbers have worked for me.

CPeter

I hear ya on the sales tax... except the saw stop... no way around it in New York. Being in NH, not an issue for you anyway I believe. Thanks for the insight of the 60%... storage will run around $90 a month.

I would second a storage unit. You can get a lot of months for $5000-6000 (half the cost of your tools with out including tax). Don't forget that storage units are three dimensional. I would build a quick platform over the tablesaw and jointer (all but the bandsaw) and use that space to store more stuff. Make sure you register the storage unit and contents with your insurance company as well.

Blog Entries
    In a similar vein to CPeter, I apply a 60% rule to new and used tools. If I can get it used for 60% of new or if I can get the 'sorta good new one' for 60% of the 'known good new one', I just go the extra for the new or better item and enjoy the benefits of what comes with that. There are exceptions of course and the Saw Stop is probably one of them. Very desirable hand tools or 'no longer made' high quality power hand tools are some things I have also paid a premium for and been happy to do it. It is always a tough call when the choice is to hang on to something that is awkward to store versus having to buy again. This is extra true today when products (and product companies) tend to come and go or rise and fall in quality so quickly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I have to replace my garage I plan to rent a sea container and place it a few feet away from the garage to store all my tools. A sea can is fairly secure and I wont have to move my tools very far.

I would have to agree with others on here, unless you plan on upgrading your tools and want to sell them anyway I would recommend storing them so that you dont loose a bunch of money buying them back.

It might be interesting to note that while you can order machinery from out of state and pay no sales tax to the vendor, in many states the state department of revenue considers that the tax is still owed by you, the purchaser. I know this to be true in NC, and my experience with NY is that the Revenue folks there are at least as rapacious as here. I can at least pay a lower tax for capital equipment purchases since I am a business here in NC. Technically, all of us who purchase machinery and supplies from out of state and don't report the purchase and pay the sales tax to our own Revenue departments may, indeed, be outlaws.
    Last edited by ALAN HOLLAR; 10-02-2015 at 9:50 AM. Reason: Typing mistake

When I was looking for a used Sawstop there were very few to be had and they were going for around 80% of new.

Definitely keep the tools you don't plan to upgrade. You'll take a pretty big hit selling them and then replacing them new. The Sawstop replacement will be hard to find used- that may mean you will be able to sell it for more than the others, but it also means it's going to be hard to find used when you go to buy...

Find a way to store the tools until you can use them again.

If you plan to upgrade anyway, then go for it. For a little more than $5,500, you could buy format style sliding table saw, which, if you use the sliding table for rip cuts, is safer than a Sawstop and more functional.

A 'nudder' vote for storage.

What would price would you sell your sawstop and a few other tools for?
    <Dr. Evil>
    One billion dollars!
    </Dr. Evil>

More seriously, I think I would store any tools I didn't want to upgrade. I like the idea of renting the smallest storage unit you can get away with and knocking together racks to maximize vertical storage.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Sanderson View Post
    I have moved and in the final stages of getting my old house ready for sale, when done, I won't NEED my tools in the immediate future. I intend to tear down the garage at the new house and build a bigger one that will hold cars and tools... Never had both in the same building at the same time I am thinking of selling my biggest tools through this transition ( especially the ones on 220v) and then buying replacements when done. I am curious what others would sell their stuff for... thinking on craigslist.

1. Sawstop Industrial 5hp with 52", mobile base ( New price is $5492 = $4399 saw + $350 shipping + $299 mobile base + $40 shipping + $404 tax )

Drew, I am actually trying to sell my SawStop and downsize right now. I am selling in on the classifieds here and on craigslist. The problem with selling high end tools is you have to be very patient. There is just not a large market. They are also hard to ship so your sales radius is somewhat limited. You can look at mine add for reference, but do not expect to get a big return....

James
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

If you paid the price and bought new, keep them. If you bought used and let someone else take the depreciation hit, consider selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    If you paid the price and bought new, keep them. If you bought used and let someone else take the depreciation hit, consider selling.
    I agree with everything said, except this. It makes no difference what you paid for them, only what their market value is. And that is about 60% in really good condition.
    Maybe 70% for the SS.

I moved 4 years ago and sold all my large tools except my lathe.(oddly, I couldn't get a good price for the lathe; and it was easy to break down into 80 pound pieces) I figured if I can get 60%, let someone else move them, and then buy what I really want, that is a great deal. As it happens, the new buyers dropped both the table saw and planer carrying them out. Don't know what damage was done, but I was really relieved it wasn't my problem.

I bought most of them with a 35% MS rebate, so I actually sold most of them at a "profit" (ignoring inflation), but that was irrelevant.