Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chip cards, I thought they were more secure?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I would agree with that statement. We use the chip cards and they have never asked for a PIN, not once, except for debit cards. If it's a credit card, it just uses the chip and never asks for any PIN. In fact, I don't even know of any PIN's for our credit cards with chips. Not sure how it's supposed to be more secure when it doesn't ask for 50% of the thing that's supposed to make it more secure.
    In the US, chip cards are not PIN cards. They are signature cards. I tried to get a PIN card for European travel and they wouldn't issue me one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    In the US, chip cards are not PIN cards. They are signature cards. I tried to get a PIN card for European travel and they wouldn't issue me one.

Mike
    Yea, As I mentioned, this is a failing of the US banks because they felt that their customers couldn't handle remembering a PIN. That's kinda dumb because the majority of their customers don't have any issue remembering a PIN to access the ATM...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A few months ago, I stood in line for 30 minutes at Sam's Club while some stupid woman in front of me couldn't remember her PIN and was calling her entire family to see if they remembered it. Never overestimate the intelligence of the general public -- or the intelligence of a clerk at Sam's club who should have bypassed the woman until she could get her act together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, As I mentioned, this is a failing of the US banks because they felt that their customers couldn't handle remembering a PIN. That's kinda dumb because the majority of their customers don't have any issue remembering a PIN to access the ATM...
    Or to access their smartphone.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Or to access their smartphone.

Mike
    Well, to be fair, since I never, ever use cash, I can't remember the last time I was even at an ATM and my smartphone isn't locked. I'm sure lots of people are the same.

You know, there's such a simple solution to it all:

They just need to embed a gps tracker in every card. Then implant GPS trackers under the skin of every cardholder. When someone tries to use a card that is physically more than 5 feet away from the user, it gets automatically shut down!

OK, ok, so the government can now track your every move. That's a small price to pay.... for SAFETY !

Actually, Allan, biometrics are likely to become a factor for many of these things in the future relative to security...credit cards, smartphones (sorta have that now with the finger print reader), etc. There is a lot of work being done to find more secure ways to verify that someone is who they say they are, etc. Fingerprints, retinal scans, etc, are examples. So if you want to withdraw cash from an ATM, for example, you might need both your card and your mark-one eyeball to do it with the retinal scan taking the place of your PIN. I'm personally willing to potentially concede some level of personal privacy in order to secure access to my financial wherewithal as long as there is reasonable transparency around that.
    --

One issue with biometrics

The data describing your fingerprint, retina or whatever is stored in one or more databases. What happens when that database is subject to unauthorized duplication? A pin or password is easy to reset, a fingerprint or retina is tougher. If I had a digital description of your retina or fingerprint could I duplicate it and use it to fool a reader? A fingerprint seems pretty easy with 3D printing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If I had a digital description of your retina or fingerprint could I duplicate it and use it to fool a reader? A fingerprint seems pretty easy with 3D printing.
    Yes. I've duplicated fingerprints with a laser printer and some silicone... all I needed was a picture of the finger. Biometric data is not the panacea the pundits claim it is...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    A few months ago, I stood in line for 30 minutes at Sam's Club while some stupid woman in front of me couldn't remember her PIN and was calling her entire family to see if they remembered it. Never overestimate the intelligence of the general public -- or the intelligence of a clerk at Sam's club who should have bypassed the woman until she could get her act together.
    It bugs me that they added the chip to the card means the transaction approval takes longer but then they don't require a pin to prove it's you and not someone that just stole you card. Seemed kind of silly to go through all this and NOT require a pin... until I read your experience above. Yep, I could see long delays in line because people can't remember their pin. That would really bug me. But I would think eventually those people would remember their pin or would start paying with cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Yes. I've duplicated fingerprints with a laser printer and some silicone... all I needed was a picture of the finger. Biometric data is not the panacea the pundits claim it is...

And it's painful to reset.

Yes its stupid, people can remember a 4 digit pin geesh they remember several 10 digit phone numbers. I have a 14 digit pin for my bank I have no trouble with that. I still remember my service number form 42 years ago and my first tely number from when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pierce View Post
    It bugs me that they added the chip to the card means the transaction approval takes longer but then they don't require a pin to prove it's you and not someone that just stole you card. Seemed kind of silly to go through all this and NOT require a pin... until I read your experience above. Yep, I could see long delays in line because people can't remember their pin. That would really bug me. But I would think eventually those people would remember their pin or would start paying with cash.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It might be just a coincidence, and I don't use amazon all that much, but in two cases after I bought something on amazon that was actually sold and delivered by an amazon 'affiliate', about 3 month later I was finding stuff 'I'(?) bought in other parts of the world. I had tickets to a football game in Spain, spy camera stuff from Texas, several Amazon.it sales. In both cases (about 2 years apart), the purchases were refunded to me, and the cards replaced, but it's still a pain! At least the last time MasterCard did not ask me to file a police report before they gave me my money back.. I guess it was just so obvious that I was not in Italy.. I wonder how many hacks Amazon has had, and kept it quiet. They deal in Billions, so Hacks are probably common but kept under wraps.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

That's interesting, Bill. I was under the impression that businesses using the Amazon platform didn't actually see the CC information and that the transaction with the end-customer was financially serviced by Amazon. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
    -----

Bert, I agree about the PIN argument...the banks clearly are mis-guided about that in refusing to do chip 'n pin rather than chip 'n sign. Makes no sense to me, especially if my older daughter, who has "many issues" can remember her Debit Card PIN with no issue for ATM use.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's interesting, Bill. I was under the impression that businesses using the Amazon platform didn't actually see the CC information and that the transaction with the end-customer was financially serviced by Amazon. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
    -----

Bert, I agree about the PIN argument...the banks clearly are mis-guided about that in refusing to do chip 'n pin rather than chip 'n sign. Makes no sense to me, especially if my older daughter, who has "many issues" can remember her Debit Card PIN with no issue for ATM use.
    I was under that impression too.. In the first case, the outside affiliate was in Montreal, in the second, it was shipped in from China (although china was never mentioned anywhere in the vendor info). I still think hacks are possible, and Amazon covers them up. Where else would they get the matching 3 digit validation number on the back of the card. None of my suppliers that I use my card with have it, the only place it has ever been entered for online purchases is Amazon and Cabelas. Plus, if they used the security of never shipping to a address not registered to the card, this problem could be eliminated. I know when my customers use their cards through PayPal, I get a verified shipping address, and will be the only address I will ship stuff to.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it