Thread: I did it! System Purchased Direct from China from XTLaser.

I did it! System Purchased Direct from China from XTLaser.

I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for their great advice and for sharing their knowledge. I run a custom engraving business using an industrial sandblaster set up, kind of doing custom work, one-off weird shaped items and unique things. I've been doing more and more metal engraving and decided to invest in a fiber laser to speed my process and hope to capture more work. I talked to a lot of folks here who gave some great advice and shared experiences. For my uses I felt that going with a high powered galvo fiber was the way to go. I chose to purchase direct from a manufacturer in China. I wanted to share my purchase experience.

For months, starting last November, I talked with multiple companies both in the US and overseas. I'm a detail oriented guy and look at all angles. After looking at various units, components, prices, shipping, capabilities I decided on purchasing a 50 watt galvo fiber laser from XTLaser (XTLaser.com). Jason, the sales manager at XTLaser was by far the most responsive and organized of the many people and companies I dealt with. He answered all my questions one-by-one over months of considering, learning, and hearing things from other companies. His English is great and language was never a barrier in our months of email communication. He was always professional and provided pictures, videos, and screen shots. He sent me a demo version of the software upon request and I ended up playing the EZCad2 for a few weeks learning how to import my art into the system. Good practice and verified that my methods of graphic manipulation would import properly. I've had the laser for a week now and he remains available to help me trouble shoot and he's working with me to climb the learning curve through email and he's offered to Skype, although I have not taken him up on it yet.

The price point was the main reason for going with a Chinese import rather than a US based company. That being said XTLaser was not the cheapest foreign company. Others companies quoted some lower prices and/or offered to throw in a lot of extras. The main reason I chose XTLaser was #1 Jason the sales manager I worked with, #2 the components used by XTLaser. I researched every component manufacturer used by the end builder to make sure I was getting quality and reliable parts. Jason said he'd be available for after sale support and he has been responsive and helpful as promised - his grasp of the English language, his organization and pics and videos are very beneficial.

Once I decided to purchase from XTLaser Jason kept me in the loop as far as when they received the money wires, he updated with pictures of my unit being built, and sent me test videos once it put together. He even sent pictures of if being loaded on the truck for delivery. I purchased a "mini" unit, basically a stripped down laser system that could be packaged into a smaller crate for direct door-to-door air shipment. I purchased some laser glass and I'm building my own "containment" enclosure for the system. It was faster and easier to get through Customs going this route. Had I purchased a larger unit with the enclosure box it would have to go by boat and would have taken longer and I would have likely had to hire a customs broker to help me through the maze of getting it out of the port and moved to my door, which would have added some costs (others can talk to this point). Shipping by air (TNT.com) was relatively smooth and quick, tracking # allowed me to keep up with progress. Once it landed in the US at JFK Airport in NY I called the company verified my information, they called me when it hit customs, I paid the duty fees over the phone and the crate was released within 24 hours and on the road to my door in Florida.

I've had the laser about a week and have started playing with it on scrap items. I'm learning how to dial in the settings and trying to figure out how to get the best results for the given materials I hope to mainly work on. That being said I really hope to learn the full capabilities of this machine and expand my business. (Any input on the best settings for various materials from my "Fiber Galvo Bretheren" would be appreciated and anyone who uses EZCad2 contact me and we can swap tricks and tips!!!)

This is my first large international purchase and I must say I was a bit (...OK, more than a bit...) nervous through the process. I am pleased with the end result and I feel the unit I got will enable me to move faster and engrave/mark metals in a variety of fashions, the overall cost (cost of the unit, cost to ship, customs/duty fees, miscellaneous stuff) was worthwhile. I won't discuss exact costs -- I did not go the cheapest route from the lowest bidder, but I feel I got the best deal for what I wanted and needed. Once I get this dialed in and figure out the best settings for my work I'm certain I'll get a return on my investment in a reasonable time.

Importing direct can be done and when I'm ready for laser #2, 3 and 4 I'll be calling Jason back.

** About me, I'm a "do it your-selfer" and like to climb my own learning curve, take things apart, and find out new and unique uses for things. I can't and don't have time to sit through hours of classes or instruction, so I'm good at figuring things out myself, reverse engineering, and self-paced learning. Spend many hours during the wee hours of the night tweeking and learning and breaking and fixing... direct purchase from overseas may not be the answer for everyone **

** I did not receive any special deal or pricing to promote XTLaser or Jason, in fact we didn't discuss pricing until late in the game and his pricing was very up front from the start. Negotiations with XTLaser were minimal. I wanted to share my experience with the forum and am just a very satisfied customer. If you're looking to import a system contact Jason at xintian102@xtlaser.com , tell him Matt sent you**

If I can think if anything else I'll share. I hope this experience helps anyone out there who is investigating their own journey. Best wishes!
    Matt
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

I'm glad everything turned out well for you Matt! Pictures of your new machine would be great, if you can pull yourself away from it long enough to get some that is...

Matt

Glad you joined the club. Now the fun begins.

Good luck with your new machine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

yes pictures pictures congrats and welcome
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks y'all! Here are some pics in action and one of the unit. Learning the software slowly.

FullSizeRender (1).jpgIMG_2266.jpgIMG_2254.jpgFullSizeRender (2).jpgFullSizeRender (3).jpg
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

Congrat's on your new machine Matt. Be REALLY careful with that machine. That wavelength is super dangerous to your eyes, especially when doing the things you show in the photo.

50W Fiber, wow, that's a monster!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Congrats on the machine, super impressive!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)