Thread: Best Value Saw Blade

Smile Best Value Saw Blade

Good afternoon everyone.
    I'm seeking opinions/advise on which saw blade to choose. I have a 1956 DeWalt MBF 9" RAS that I'm searching for a blade for. I know that everyone in the universe recommends the Woodworker I blade, but unfortunately I was born strikingly handsome instead of rich. My total budget is $50 on Amazon. Things are tight right now and even that is stretching it. I've narrowed it down to two blades. I want a 60 tooth and I'll use it for primarily cross cutting finer (1x stock) pieces like pine, poplar, cherry and walnut. I have a Craftsman 10" for tougher work. This saw is new to me from a dear friend/woodworking mentor, and I have a serious love affair with her.

Here are my choices:

Freud D0860S Diablo
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...signin&sr=8-19

or
    DEWALT DW7119PT
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7119P...+60+saw+blades

Both have excellent reviews and come from very reputable companies.

I'd like to utilize the collective experience and knowledge of the members here to get their opinions.

Thank you all in advance.

I'd probably get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-085...60_SR160%2C160_

I have DeWalt and Freud blades but no diablos. My track saw is a DeWalt and it's blade is great. I have a 10 inch combination blade for my table saw that works about the same as my Freud combination blade. I have a Oshlun on my little Ryobi cordless circular saw and it is working well. The thing I like about the Oshlun linked above is the negative hook. That improved my radial arm saw and made it much less prone to climb cut. The diablo doesn't seem to offer that. I didn't check out the DeWalt. If it is negative hook, I'd probably get it. If not, I'd get the Oshlun.

I think Freud's regular blades are a little better than DeWalt's but not much. I haven't used Oshlun a whole lot but bought one for my track saw when the DeWalt needs changed. The Diablo is what I would call a "throw away" blade with small teeth not suitable for sharpening. That isn't to say it's a bad blade, but I wouldn't put it in the same league as the regular Freuds.

DeWalt is negative, I think it's a good way to go. I can't say I love the paint job but that will wear off. The CMT on Amazon also looks interesting, however. It is a small positive hook but I think CMT blades are a bit better than DeWalt. But I think I would get the DeWalt or the Oshlun with the negative hook.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 09-29-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Jim,
    I think we probably read that at the same time. I just found that the Diablo has a 7 degree hook, while the DeWalt has a -5. From my reading, folks are recommending a negative hook for the old girl and I have to defer to the folks who know her best I was really interested in the Oshlun as well. At this point, I think I'm going to go with the DeWalt since it's a DeWalt saw for no other reason than keeping in the family. I have to say that I do like the yellow band around the blades as a small extra measure of security.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I REALLY appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

Blog Entries
    Freud blades have worked well for me for over 20 years. They cut very well. For a RAS you will want a blade with a negative hook angle to limit the self feeding effect. They make some 9" blades and some 8-1/2" Here is a link to their blades for woodworkers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'd up your budget $10 and get this one, Freud LU91,

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU91M008.../dp/B00004T7AH

I have an oshlun and prefer the Freud.

Oshlun is a really good blade for the price. Freud is probably better. I would say that Tenryu is better yet and we can get you a custom blade that is sensational..

However, we will give you an Oshlun blade if you do a review.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors

P.S. IMHO maybe the best saw blades for the money are those little 7 1/4" Black & Decker with 2 - 4 carbide teeth.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    Oshlun is a really good blade for the price. Freud is probably better. I would say that Tenryu is better yet and we can get you a custom blade that is sensational..

However, we will give you an Oshlun blade if you do a review.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors

P.S. IMHO maybe the best saw blades for the money are those little 7 1/4" Black & Decker with 2 - 4 carbide teeth.
    Give me a blade in return for a review???

How does that work? You have the poor man's full attention.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm finding this information MOST valuable.