Thread: Wooden Try Squares

Wooden Try Squares

Wooden Squares.jpg

I've found it very enjoyable to make things used in the sop. Tool chest, workbench, mallet etc. These wooden squares are a nice addition and a fun little project using up scraps, in this instance beech with some nice color variation. They are a version of a try square used typically found in English references. They show up in Seaton's tool chest and also some of my joinery books from the 1930's

The biggest trial is making sure the mortise and tenon fit well. Too tight and it'll break the blade due to it being thin and quarter sawn, too slackit will not be reliable.

If you have some scraps it's a good skill builder and a reminder that square is square and you don't have to (unless you want to) use engineers' tools for highly accurate woodworking.

Very impressive hand tool use, and beautiful result. I admire your skill.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It has always puzzled me, why is the end of the blade shaped as it is and not just straight?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Nicely illustrated. The sped up video is a bit jarring to me personally. Any chance you have a normal speed video somewhere?

It's great to see someone using all hand tools to make things. Nice piece of work here!
    Wes

"The least error should be humble, but we should never permit even the greatest to discourage us", Potter.

Michael, thanks for watching and I'm pleased you enjoyed the process.

Chris, the curve on the end was not an original on the Seaton squares but was an indulgent add based on what I had in my book from the 1930's. I have not researched but I'd assume beuty and useful for drawing around were likely.

Praki, thanks for the honesty. I know it wont be everyone's cup of tea but I aim to at best pique some interest and hopefully make a short fun video. Detailed builds while not ruled out are unlikely any time soon.

Thanks Wesley, glad you liked the squares :-)