Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper --Learning Part 2

Shaper --Learning Part 2

With the sticking ran (see Shaper --Learning Part 1) I set up to run the cope cuts. The cutter came with 6 brass shims which from some previous test cut I figured I would need to use a few of them to make the joint fit properly. From My test cuts the tenon was too thin and fit sloppy in the groove. Doing a little research I found that the spindle not being square to the table could cause the groove to be too wide, so I spent some time shimming the spindle to get it as square to the table as I thought I could.
    In setting up the cope cut I determined I would need at least 3 shims to get the tenon thick enough to fit reasonably well. After making some test cuts I found that shimming the cutter gave me a thicker tenon, but it also gave me a gap on the cope above the tenon.
    image7.jpeg

Taking the shims out and running a test cut I got this result with a gap in the tenon and groove area.
    image6.jpeg

I don't see anyway around one or the other situation and am leaning toward the first joint to get a good fit in the tenon area which I think will contribute the most to the strength of the joint.
    Any other thoughts?

I've done this same thing, but on a router table only - - so, apologies if this is a rabbit hole. I used an Amana rail/style/panel raising 2-piece bit set (the ogee cutter is 'flipped' between cope & stick cuts). It allowed the cutters & shims to be positioned to produce uniformly tight joints for entire kitchen.

You didn't mention how your cutter(s) is(are) built, but I'd lay odds that this can be fixed. ...perhaps post photo of disassembled cutters??

Edit - Could it be that the sticking cutter should have been shimmed differently?
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-25-2015 at 4:39 PM.

Malcom,
    Thanks for the reply. It is an Amana SC 546 shaper set and here is a link to the page showing the cutter set.
    http://www.amanatool.com/sc546-2-pie...-material.html
    Last edited by Bob Vavricka; 09-25-2015 at 5:03 PM. Reason: delete duplicate link

I suspect Malcolm is on the right track and that the sticking cutters should have been shimmed apart to increase the distance from the bottom of the bead to the groove. If so, not much to be done at this point but shim for a tight tenon and accept a poor fit in the bead section of the cope. The tenon in your first photo still looks loose- I shoot for a .002" glueline with yellow glue- that is, the tenon mic's .004" less than the groove width. There should be some friction when dry fitting the joint. As the old guys said, "If you can put it together with your hat, it"s too loose, if you need a hammer it's too tight."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I suspect Malcolm is on the right track and that the sticking cutters should have been shimmed apart to increase the distance from the bottom of the bead to the groove. If so, not much to be done at this point but shim for a tight tenon and accept a poor fit in the bead section of the cope. The tenon in your first photo still looks loose- I shoot for a .002" glueline with yellow glue- that is, the tenon mic's .004" less than the groove width. There should be some friction when dry fitting the joint. As the old guys said, "If you can put it together with your hat, it"s too loose, if you need a hammer it's too tight."
    Kevin, I hadn't thought about needing to shim the sticking cutters--I'm having trouble visualizing how that would work, so I will have to look at it and try some test cuts. I was just thinking about shimming the cope cut to get the tenon the right thickness. I am afraid you are right about it still being a little too loose. I was trying to talk myself into not having to add another shim, but I think it will be a better joint. Thanks for your thoughts.

I believe the shims are supplied essentially to overcome poor spindle alignment in smaller shapers, ideally you would never need to shim your cutters. Did you align your shaper top to spindle before or after you ran the sticking cuts? I'm going to throw out a guess that you did it after, as it looks to me like your groove is too large. If this is the case I'm not sure if you'll ever get a perfect fit as the profile will be a bit off as well. If you think about the mechanics of it only a small amount of misalignment can affect your cuts. 1/2 a degree would be more than enough to give sloppy joints in your parts, which is why proper alignment is so crucial. I had an entire batch of parts come out wrong not too long ago b/c of this problem. I was using a tilting spindle shaper to do a bunch of copes and had not double checked the spindle before running them. My machine has a positive stop so that you know once it hits 0 deg. Unfortunately something had got caught between the stop and the spindle stopped about 1/3 deg. shy of 0. Ruined a bunch of parts just b/c it was out a tiny bit….and b/c I hadn't spent the time to confirm

At this point I'd say get as close as you can. Once your past this set I would double check your spindle alignment and then run a couple more stiles and rails to see if the fit is improved.

good luck,
    jeffD

That is something that should be assessed when putting a new cutter set into service. I have the luxury of two shapers, so I can check the fit of the cope and stick cutters without breaking one down completely to set up the other. Once you get the shimming dialed in you can store the cutters with the shims stacked appropriately or note the arrangement for next time. Sharpening of a brazed set will affect the shimming slightly. Making sure of the fit prior to running a stack of material can save considerable annoyance. You can get sets of various thickness plastic shims from Charles G.G. Schmidt and similar tooling suppliers( I like Connecticut Tool).

On the better sets you can take off cope cutters and switch to sticking with no spindle adjustment or no spindle adjustment and a shim under the sticking cutters. Run all pieces face down and if a shim is needed mark which one is needed.

If it is what it is at this point, I agree with your initial assessment. Setup #1 and use some extra glue on the outside edge part of the pattern to help swell the end grain and close it up a bit more. Do you have an edge sander?
    JR

Don't see whether you bought them new or used. If new I would return them.

Blog Entries
    I didn't read the whole string, so this may be redundant.
    I have used paper to shim the cutters for a shaker pattern set I have. It was straight forward and worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I believe the shims are supplied essentially to overcome poor spindle alignment in smaller shapers, ideally you would never need to shim your cutters. Did you align your shaper top to spindle before or after you ran the sticking cuts? I'm going to throw out a guess that you did it after, as it looks to me like your groove is too large. If this is the case I'm not sure if you'll ever get a perfect fit as the profile will be a bit off as well.
    jeffD
    Thanks for the info Jeff. I did the alignment before running the sticking cut. I got the cutters used with the shaper and they didn't appear to be sharpened. However, I am beginning to think they have been. The groove is supposed to be 1/4" and the groove cutter measures about .015 under in width. The groove on the sticking is only .003 - .004 wider than the cutter width so I don't think the alignment is off a lot.
    I may need to fine tune the alignment, It is an quite an exercise loosening and shimming to align the spindle and I may have called it good too soon. Bob V.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    On the better sets you can take off cope cutters and switch to sticking with no spindle adjustment or no spindle adjustment and a shim under the sticking cutters. Run all pieces face down and if a shim is needed mark which one is needed.
    Mel, I am using a Panel Crafter 609 to run the cope cuts so I have to adjust and fine tune the height. It would be nice not to have to, but with my setup, I don't see a way out of it. Even then, I should be able to get a better fitting joint. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Don't see whether you bought them new or used. If new I would return them.
    They came used with the shaper. They appear to be in good condition and I didn't think they looked like they had been sharpened. I am beginning to think they have been and that may be causing some of the problem. I'm going to work on the shimming today to see if I can get a better fit. Thanks.

Sometimes people will just send "the dull pieces" for sharpening. All the pieces should be sharpened. We had a sharpener who would straighten out mis sharpened sets. Gone and missed.