Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta dl 40, bought at auction, it is missing controller, need advice

Delta dl 40, bought at auction, it is missing controller, need advice

Delta dl 40, bought at auction, it is missing the controller, need advice, it has a DC 1.25hp motor. and I believe 1x8 spindle. I have looked around for a controller, on another forum they said this controller

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/BALDOR-BC140/

would work, but its 225$ For around that price I can just buy a 3 phase motor and vfd.

question one, is there a comparable controller I could buy for well under a 100$?

question two, what is the biggest motor I could use with risking damage to the lathe? could I use a 3 hp? it can do a 24 inch bowl on the left side of the head (outboard?)

I'll post pictures shortly

I found a baldor 3 phase motor for sale locally, guy said he would take 75$ I can get a 2 or 3 hp, would the lathe handle a 3 hp?

Yes, the lathe will handle 3 hp. Whether you need that much hp is another question.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

My current lathe is under powered, and i dont want that issue, on the outboard side it can do a 24 in bowl, the g0766 has a 3 hp and is 22 in bowl, that is where I got 3 hp from, i want enough power to turn a bigger bowl. And I think the guy who has the 2 HP and 3 hp is selling them for same price, is there any reason why not to go 3 hp?

With a 1 inch spindle do I need to be careful to not bend it making a bigger bowl?

here are some pictures I also got this lathe tool rest and faceplates that I believe go to powermatic lathes, the don't fit what I have, any idea on what they are worth? hopefully they can help pay for my motor
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cody, those do look like PM 90 parts. PM 90 uses 1 1/2-8 threads. If the post on the tool rest is 1 1/8 it is for the PM 90. I sent a PM about it.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

[QUOTE=cody michael;2471183]My current lathe is under powered, and i dont want that issue, on the outboard side it can do a 24 in bowl, the g0766 has a 3 hp and is 22 in bowl, that is where I got 3 hp from, i want enough power to turn a bigger bowl. And I think the guy who has the 2 HP and 3 hp is selling them for same price, is there any reason why not to go 3 hp?
    i believe there is quite a price difference between the 2 and 3 hp inverters. Someone will know. I had a 1" Old Delta 450 that I turned outboard 24". It was only 1 hp so things were a little more gentle and stallable I would imagine the outboard side is a single row bearing. That will probably fail before the spindle. There may be a question if the belt system can deliver full power of a 3 hp motor without squieling. The sheet metal stand will waggle when you turn a large unbalanced blank outboard.When you start to turn big the budget goes up. Bigger tools, bigger chainsaw and possibly bandsaw.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

want enough power to turn a bigger bowl.
    the outside edge of a bowl is traveling at a greater speed than the core or inside of the bowl.........the bigger dimension of the bowl the faster the outside is running compared to the inside core of the bowl.......generally, if you have a rpm speed that is the speed of the spindle not the outside of the bowl

some of the demostrators and other turners turn at a very fast pace but from your question maybe you should keep the speed to a lower level when first turning......a catch on a large piece can be life changing

speed and torque are different things

do motors lose power at lower speeds? everything I can see the cost to me is the same for 2 vs 3 hp. if I am turn at low speed for a larger bowl will a 2 hp have enough power or would I be better off with the 3 hp. I don't want to over power the lathe, but with the cost being the same, what are the cons to 3hp?

Assuming the cost of both the motor and appropriate VFD is the same, go with the 3 hp. Usually, a VFD for a 3 hp motor is more expensive than one for a 2 hp motor.

And, yes, a motor typically produces less torque at slower speeds. Some VFDs can compensate for this for brief periods of time. The worst thing about running a motor at reduced speed is that the cooling fan also runs at lower speed. Run for long periods at slow speed, some motors will overheat. So, depending on the type of controller, where your motor is mounted (is it already a hot environment?), it may be best to keep your motor at or above 75% of its maximum speed (except for brief periods). During the summers here in Arizona, my motor will overheat if I crank the speed down for an extended period of time -- like when I'm sanding. That's not a problem in the winter. Fortunately, my lathe has 6-speed ranges. The lowest has a max speed of 370 rpms. So, in summer, I move the belt to the slowest pulley when sanding.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

could you avoid this with extra fans? ex. place a small computer fan type fan on the motor and one on the enclosure to keep it cool?

the controller part I am missing is the part with the buttons that turn it on, start stop etc. It still has a controller board in it. could I figure out a way to have the buttons, start stop fast slow for cheaper then buying the whole controller? sorry if I'm not making much sense I have no experience with this type of motor

do motors lose power at lower speeds
    yes and no........I have 2 belt positions on my lathe
    the high speed range position (0-3200rpm) provides maximum speed
    the low speed range position (0-1200) will provide maximum torque

generally you will rough out on the low speed range and then change over to high speed for finishing cut
    note both will run 1200 rpm......I rarely take it off low speed range except for finals and xmas ornaments

I see some people use treadmill motors for this application, I saw this treadmill locally for 100$ maybe I could get it for 50-75, if so would the controller off the treadmill work with a the treadmill motor to do what I need done?

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/sgd/5232249910.html

I am not the one to ask about reengineering a lathe

I would ask you to cut out various sizes piece of cardboard some 6 inches wide some 24 inches wide some in between.......then take those pieces into your living room and dining room and see if you can fit then on tables, bookcases, biscuit domejig etc