Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge launched today

I particularly love how they call co2 lasers Industrial Carbon Dioxide lasers to make them seem scarier than they are. LOL Definitely good marketing, also having his buddy "interview" him like a journalist asking all the right questions and none of the hard questions pretty misleading but also a brilliant marketing tactic.

I'm sure the manual and box will come with all kinds of disclaimers on it. And the fact is 99% of people who buy this won't care that it might vent into the room. A lot of home based and even small office based sadly do some form of this every day throwing a vent pipe out an open door or whatever until they get big enough that they figure they should start taking people's health into consideration. Or someone gets a health problem from it and they are forced to change their practices. I've argued with people that I know personally and also on here for years that you need to vent things properly but rarely do people listen I've found. How many of you are using those crap chinese blowers to vent your machine? Or dryer hose out an open window? My point is a lot of people don't care. So it argue that the hobbiest will care so much about the smell, or health effects is kind of a pointless argument in my opinion. PVS yes that's a a real risk, but most of it won't fit in there, and also something they try to head off by saying you can buy "approved" materials from them. Also brilliant because they now have a re-occurring revenue stream, and they have a way to say hey only use these materials on our list, or you didn't use our approved materials. In a perfect world would they openly list all the dangers? YES. In reality, it isn't going to happen. Even if they did would the average Joe read it? Do you read all the directions for your power tools and the warnings? If you do then you are in the minority, you'd be shocked how many people don't even know how to run a power saw or hammer drill. Never occurs to them to read the directions...
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 09-25-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Great post Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    ...also having his buddy "interview" him like a journalist asking all the right questions and none of the hard questions pretty misleading but also a brilliant marketing tactic.
    I believe his buddy (may or may not actually be buddies) is Will Smith with Tested (Jamie & Adam from Mythbusters). Unfortunately, Mike Wallace was not available for a hard-hitting expose.

I see that Dan is pretty active on Twitter. You might consider reaching out with questions, if anyone is concerned with specific tech specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    I believe his buddy (may or may not actually be buddies) is Will Smith with Tested (Jamie & Adam from Mythbusters). Unfortunately, Mike Wallace was not available for a hard-hitting expose.

I see that Dan is pretty active on Twitter. You might consider reaching out with questions, if anyone is concerned with specific tech specs.
    Let's just say buddy or not, this guy knew the questions to ask to shed the best light on the product, and also didn't dig into the more hairy topics. If anyone on this board was interviewing him it wouldn't have been as rosey because they would have asked real questions, and called his bluffs. That being said I'm a fan of the piece, very entertaining to watch. However leave it at what it is, a brilliant piece of marketing, not true journalism or an unbiased review.

Is this being marketed toward the Cricut crowd? I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned, as a new business owner. The uncertainty about how it will affect online retail sales concerns me, although I think most of you guys aren't in this category, right?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Let's just say buddy or not, this guy knew the questions to ask to shed the best light on the product, and also didn't dig into the more hairy topics. If anyone on this board was interviewing him it wouldn't have been as rosey because they would have asked real questions, and called his bluffs. That being said I'm a fan of the piece, very entertaining to watch. However leave it at what it is, a brilliant piece of marketing, not true journalism or an unbiased review.
    Noted. You're expectations might be too lofty for that piece with expectations beyond its intention. Perhaps you are used to the grilling examination of Trotec's machines.

Spoiler: Same guy.

http://cnckingdom.com/adam-savages-trotec-speedy-300/

Matt, it seems is anyone says one word about this machine that isn't raving about it, the company, or it's Team, they you think we are just being unfair.

You must read these posts far different than I do. I have seen a lot of people saying valid things to talk about.

I guess we're not allowed to criticize it at all. Let me start from scratch then....

YAHHH!!!! They rock, that's amazing, can't wait to get one.

If I say anything than that, then I'm being critical, I guess.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Can't see the forest cause tree's in the way, Can't see fire cause of all the smoke.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Matt, it seems is anyone says one word about this machine that isn't raving about it, the company, or it's Team, they you think we are just being unfair.

You must read these posts far different than I do. I have seen a lot of people saying valid things to talk about.

I guess we're not allowed to criticize it at all. Let me start from scratch then....

YAHHH!!!! They rock, that's amazing, can't wait to get one.

If I say anything than that, then I'm being critical, I guess.
    Anyone should be allowed to say anything about this machine, in a thread set up for its discussion (within the TOS). Point/counterpoint, and all that. I don't take anything said personally or care if we don't share the same opinion. I hope we do have that in common.

This is the CarveWright of the CNC forum in the Laser Engraving forum.... Low "er" cost, less capability, non standard software... A Cricut Laser Engraver is a good description...

For me, I would likely regass my old Epilog 25 watt before buying something like this.

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 09-25-2015 at 1:01 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Dan Shapiro says "Funny thing about Seattle: Nearly every space zoned for manufacturing is near a marijuana processing facility." Hmmmmmm maybe all those fumes went to his head , not enough exhaust
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    This is the CarveWright of the CNC forum in the Laser Engraving forum.... Low "er" cost, less capability, non standard software...
    AL
    Al: Can you expand on the "less capability"? What are you comparing to?

non-standard software is being touted here.

I think this all comes down to the software. This is Glowforge's first machine. They could conceivably put out high powered large bed professional machines in the future, but their focus on a good user experience is key, and something that other manufacturers are lacking. The ease by which a user can move, place, and control things leaves other machines in the dust. All my questions are around how much manual control I can get. Something they mention in a video is that the machine can test cut materials to figure out settings, which is pretty cool, but can I manually override those? Can I put in numbers? Can I be a power user with their machine? I'm still awaiting answers to those questions, but in all I think their approach is really solid. The feature roadmap is potentially unlimited and the things they've already mentioned are awesome (3d relief is a fav of mine).

Blog Entries
    Art! I like that concept! With some good marketing you could show the 4x8 CNC on a kitchen counter (big kitchen obviously) with no outside vent or dust collection, and a happy Mom and 5 year old working on fun 3D projects to take to school! And it could be as safe as a DVD burner! <grin>

Jason....sorry! Having fun being snarky about this. <grin> The advert did raise my eyebrows though after watching it. I am reallllllly curious to see how this all works out for them. And it will be very interesting to see what the 1st batch of users who show up here experience.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Indeed. You an count on a thorough review from me once mine arrives