Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Would You Do?

It sounds like you have a hangover without going to the trouble of consuming the beverages......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It sounds like you have a hangover without going to the trouble of consuming the beverages......
    Now I know why I feel like I do! Ken, can I make you my therapist?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

My wife retired as a title officer for Fidelity Title. You wouldn't believe some of the horror stories she can tell on deals gone bad!
    I think you are over the hump. I hope it goes smoothly the rest of the way through.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

As someone who does believe in man made climate change, I would have chosen a different location to retire. That been said, I do wish you great success during your retirement.

When I bought & sold our house in Rio Rancho, Fidelity was the title company. By far, the best at their job than any of the other 3 homes I have bought and/or sold in Missouri or Ohio. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My wife retired as a title officer for Fidelity Title. You wouldn't believe some of the horror stories she can tell on deals gone bad!
    I think you are over the hump. I hope it goes smoothly the rest of the way through.

The attorney for the title company has gone above and beyond in this case. The problem was with the seller and trustee. The trustee is the son of the man the seller lived with for 19 years. When he died, she got the house and half of his estate. The son contested will and lost. The seller, stressed after a year in court, threw out all the court files some time after the case was closed. The documents she needed to prove ownership were probably in those files.

About a week and a half ago I sent a letter (snail mail) to the trustee, explaining the hardship this delay is causing us. Right about the time he should have received the letter, he contacted the title attorney and said he'd send the documents. So maybe that letter had some effect.

Over a month ago, the seller had hired an attorney to handle the case but she wouldn't direct him to do anything because, "Every time I call him, it costs me money." Just after I sent the letter to the trustee, I told her she should either fire her attorney or tell him to subpoena the parties for the documents. I don't know if she ever did. What I do know is her attorney said afterward, "I am so glad to hear that I will not have to file the lawsuit!"

I think part of the feet dragging was due to the fact two local attorneys should have had those files. One claimed he never got them. The other said he destroyed them. Law says attorneys have to keep files for 7 years. It's only been 4. So the seller's attorney would have had to subpoena two local attorneys if the case was going to court and those attorneys would have had to explain why they don't have those files.

Anyway, it's done. We close on the 15th. It will be nice having my tools again. I've been working on a model sailboat to keep me busy. Not a day goes my I don't miss my tools.

Blog Entries
    It looks like this long nightmare is coming to an end. Best hopes for a smooth conclusion.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Julie, you deserve a medal for seeing this thru to the end. Think I would have pulled the plug long ago.

Good luck with the closing.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks, guys. We stuck it out because right around the time our offer was accepted, home prices here began to soar. Right now, to get what we are getting would cost another $50K+. It just got nuts here!